Real-life MMD: Time to sell gift for big bucks?

Options

Comments

• Cimscate
    Cimscate Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tallgirld wrote: »
    Yeahhhhh sell it! She bought it for you so do what you want with it.

Do some research on what it's worth, keep it on the mantelpiece for a while (just in case she pops round) then if it really is worth loads sell it (but don't tell her). If she comes around again and says "What happened to that clock I gave you?" Just say "Oh didn't I tell you I sold it?!!" (surprised look on your face) HA HA :-)

Bet you don't have many friends if this is how you treat them!
  • Rozzers90
    Options
    It was given as a present to you, presents shouldn't come with a threat of having to keep it forever. You do what you want with it, it's just the conversation you have with the buyer of the gift that needs to be thought about.
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    I'd sell it and not say anything - otherwise it could offend them. I don't see the problem, I wouldn't mind situations reversed.
  • Krissy306
    Krissy306 Posts: 419 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd sell it and not mention it to my friend, it was a lovely thought but if your not going to use it no point in having it
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 April 2014 at 1:00PM
    Options
    Tell your mate what your brother said - let her get involved with investigating its true value, and agree beforehand to split the proceeds.
    If she voices her disappointment, then agree to buy a cheaper similar replacement with part of any proceeds.
    ps: dont forget a little treat for your brother who pointed out its true worth in the first place if it is a winner :-)
  • Revengant
    Revengant Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    sas79 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be happy if someone sold a present I'd brought for them, but I suppose it depends on how long you have had it? If its as recent gift def not!!
    I feel it'd be a big slap in the face for your friend if you sold it. She took the trouble and time and thought to buy something for you as a friend that she thought, or even knew, you'd enjoy.

No matter whether you need the money or not by selling it it'd show how much you value her feelings, not! Sell something else, perhaps the telly? Save yourself the licence fee then too....

R.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe she's a good friend.... and maybe she already knew its true value, both as a gift, and as an antique....
  • PenguinOfDeath
    PenguinOfDeath Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    Options
    I admit I have previously sold a gift that was given to me, although it was worth under a tenner I don't think it was any different to re-gifting really.

For me it would depend if you actually like the clock or if she bought it for you as you needed one. It could have 'accidentally been dropped', take her out for a nice meal with the proceeds to help alleviate the guilt.

Btw make sure she doesn't read the forum if you go ahead ;)
  • pennypinchUK
    pennypinchUK Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Ah, this one has come round again!

The person who bought the gift is a friend, you say. So presumably you can talk to them about your dilemma? How about "Wow, I've just found out that clock you bought me is worth a mint. It's far too generous of you, I can't possibly accept it. How about if we sell it and split the proceeds. Then, both of us gain." Problem solved.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    The giver is a friend? Keep your friend and the clock!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure