Shackles of debt, help please.

Options
Hi all

This is my first post and I would like some advised regarding my situation, please.

So after burying my head in the sand & taking up dirty habits (which made my debts worse) i.e. gambling. I have decided enough is enough and I want to be freed from the shackles of debt and start my life again.

After receiving a ccj from a debtor recently & realising that I can't keep running and it isn't good for my health and wellbeing, it is time for me to face up to the issue. I contacted step change who stated that bankruptcy was an option to myself, which sounds like the only way forward.

Now I have a few questions regarding going into bankruptcy and on the best time to do it because my financial situation is due to change in the about 6 months time because my youngest is due to start school and will not be attending nursery, so I don't want to start the bankruptcy if it means more paperwork due to income changes half way through the order.

In terms of filing for bankruptcy, I want to clarify the process and see if me being a gambler will negatively affect the way I am treated when doing filing my bankruptcy claim. I am currently taking steps regarding my addiction and I know that being free from debts will be the biggest help, because I mostly gambled because I was trying to make money to eradicate myself from debt. As stupid as that sound because no one win, but the bookies, but this was my main motivation to part take in such an activity and before I stepped into a bookies, my opinion on gambling was not good, so I don't know how I have reached this stage...well I know how, by circumstances and burying my head in the sand.

I have a few questions that I would like to ask to clarify some things regarding my situation, but I would rather ask that via pm'ing someone who can help me, because I am not comfortable adding everything on this public forum.

Anyways enough of me rambling, hopefully some of you lovely people who have been in my position can give me more clarity, it would be good. Thank you in advance

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello and welcome. You are right to be aware that gambling will be looked at by the OR but the basic principles are the same. If you haven't done so already - please seek initial advice from one of the free debt charities - National Debtline and Stepchange (both online) are excellent starts. Then come back to this board to fine tune your application and find out about the other stuff like bank accounts and future planning :)
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi fresh_start2018

Welcome to the forum, and well done on taking steps to deal with your debts and your gambling. As TheGardener says, you can seek advice from one of the debt advice agencies. It's free, non judgmental and completely confidential. Good luck with everything.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    so I don't want to start the bankruptcy if it means more paperwork due to income changes half way through the order.

Going forward you need to get this kind of thinking sorted. "I can't be arsed because its a bit of effort/paperwork/putting myself out " is something that will cost you a lot of money in your life.

Not starting the bankruptcy because you can't be bothered with the hassle of filling in another form is going to cost you money. The sooner you start it the less it'll cost you in the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure