Default on Credit Report

Options
Hi Guys,

I had a credit card with natwest back in 2009, with a limit of £500.
Both my credit card and student account with natwest were defaulted they said due to a breach of contract. I believe someone had frauded my account.

I admit i had spent the best part of my credit limit of £500, probably around £450. However the balance had shot up to £1650, there were transactions unknown to me which i disputed, some of these they agreed were dubious (one transaction in nottingham and another an hour later in London) and natwest removed them, however natwest havent removed the remainder of these disputes and eventually i wasnt hassled over the debt so i assumed they had accepted my statement of fraud.

However i looked at my credit score the other day and this card is still a defaulted debt against my name with a balance of £1650, even though the limit on the card was £500, i am now struggling to get more than a basic bank account and only just about managed to get a contract with o2 after having a 30day contact, for four months on a probationary period.

Default date was 27/05/2010

do you have any advice about clearing/disputing this debt?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,943 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,
    So you admit some of the debt is yours then ?

How did the fraud occur ?, someone clone your card details or something like that ?

Basically its not going to go away, you need to dispute the amount you suspect to be fraud, in writing with Natwest, you must follow there complaints procedure, then take to the FOS, if not satisfied.

You must follow the correct procedure to get this properly looked into, its not sufficient to "assume" they have accepted your version of events.

This is the only way to resolve this issue.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure