Cash For Clothes?

Options
foolsgold01
foolsgold01 Posts: 61 Forumite
Car Insurance Carver!
edited 8 September 2014 at 10:23PM in Boost your income
Hi,

Apologies if this question has been posted before but I just wanted to ask for any opinions on the cashforclothes companies that are out there.

I have been trying to sort out masses of stuff (I'm a bit of a hoarder - posted on the OS thread too :o) and I have had a double LBM moment with debt and hoarding!! I think one will also help the other - get rid of things and make a bit of money to assist in paying off some debts :)

I have managed to fill x2 charity bags so far full of adult and children's clothes that I just want to get shot of and try to get a few quid for my trouble along the way.

I just wondered if there was any experiences out there and if its worth doing?

Many thanks for any pointers and help

FG x
:eek: 07/14 - LBM.....£38,151k joint debt :eek: now £32,417k
Loan 1 - £20k - Now £18400, Loan 2 - £12k - Now £9470, CC1 - £795 - Now £720, CC2 - £3k - Now £2778, CC3 £361 - Now £209, CC4 - £100 - Now £70.99. DH OD - £1895 - Now £770
1% challenge 08/14 #337; £2 challenge 01/15 #199;

Comments

• red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    Never release any clothes without getting the money first.
    :footie:
  • Greenqueen_2
    Options
    Most of these firms have specific rules about what they will accept. Eg, the clothes must be clean and dry, and in good wearable condition. Shoes in pairs. No socks/tights/knickers.
    The average value seems to be around 50p per kg so weigh your bags before going to have a rough guide.
  • bam*pop
    Options
    I did this not long back, they went through every single item in my bags...
    ...amount of time I was waiting it probably worked out at 50p an hour!
  • moneysaverXXL
    Options
    cash for clothes doesn't work
    people spend very little for used clothes...
  • monty-doggy
    Options
    Last time I did this I gave them about five bags of clothes and I got a measly £4.50. So yesterday I gave my two bags of clothes to the cancer research shop. They will prob make a lot more than £4.50 as lots of the items were next and M&S kids.
    I won't use cash for clothes again.
  • callumsmith84
    Options
    bam*pop wrote: »
    I did this not long back, they went through every single item in my bags...
    ...amount of time I was waiting it probably worked out at 50p an hour!

This makes me feel better for donating all of my old clothes (including football shirts) to charity :A
  • HLR93
    HLR93 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I've used cash4clothes a lot, it's an easy way to get rid of unwanted clothes and get a few quid for it, i've probably made about £40/£50 altogether from giving to them, ebay is also a good way to get money for them if you have the time and there in good condition. The run up to christmas is the best time to sell on ebay too.

Hope this helps :)
    Saving For A Deposit - £3430.38/£5000 (27/10/14)
    52 Week Money Challenge - £28/£1378 (30/10/14)
    20p Saver Challenge - £0.20
    50p Saver Challenge - £0.50
  • spongebob999
    Options
    Are they really going to give you much for old clothes? Im not these people are worth the time unless you have some really expensiver items
  • jumbojuice
    Options
    Taking to the local charity shop probably the best option seeing as you don't get much for it as it's done on weight..

The amount you'll get will probably outweigh the cost of getting it to them, unless you've been hoarding massively!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is a local place that buys clothes, Probably 50p or 75p a kg? Missus was having a clearout and thought about trying it. Much closer than any charity shop.

After reading threads in here and elsewhere about them being fussy i thought she would be wasting her time. But they didnt check anything and paid no problem.

£20 in the kitty.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure