Settling Old Debts / New Start

Options
Good Afternoon All,

In 2009 I had a mental breakdown. Various things going on in my life, quit my job, went off the rails etc.

At this time I was well into my overdraft, bank loan, various credit cards etc. I ended up moving out of house and simply didn't bother updating my details with any of the companies I owed. Irresponsible I know & not to make excuses but I was on various medication, was in & out of hospital & had hit rock bottom. I pretty much went off the radar for a number of years.

Over the past 3 years, life has been on the up. I have been in regular employment, met my new partner, we are in our own home and the biggest thing is we have had a daughter.

Looking to the future, I want a stable and happy future for our daughter and know I have to take responsibility for my debts but after all this time have no idea where to start. The only bank account I may still have is the 1 I had with Lloyds TSB all those years ago (I have had my wages paid into other peoples accounts since). I don't even have account numbers etc for the bank account or credit cards anymore.

I really want to start making things right and not have this hanging over our head for the coming years. Apologies for the long post and any advice would be much appreciated. Many Thanks

Comments

• happy_bunny_2
    Options
    Have you checked your credit file with your new and previous address where the cards etc were registered?

I would do so to see what's on there.

Be warned, doing the above will alert the account owners (maybe debt collectors) to your new address.

Always do everything in writing.

Never give any of the companies your phone number.
    :beer:
  • fretless2000
    Options
    I tried Experian a while back but it needed a bank account number in the registration process.

Is there a way I can check this just by address?

Thanks
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    You could try equifax or noddle (for free).

Your change of address may be an issue if no one has you at your new one.

Maybe give Experian a call to see if there is a way around the issue you were having.
    :beer:
  • fretless2000
    Options
    Thanks happy_bunny, will give it a try
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business