Charging Order? The myth

Options

Comments

• eggbox
    eggbox Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Firstly, how much arrears are we talking about and how much pressure is the lender applying? I'm only asking because, as its been explained on this thread; if your mortgage lender repossesses the house then they will have power of sale (as first charge) and all the other charges / restrictions get wiped? Any surplus funds after the house is sold and the lenders charges are accounted for are then returned to you (as all other charges have been removed.) I'm not saying it will be straightforward but its an option you may want to consider if the forthcoming case goes against you?

In the meantime, if you only have a Restriction registered there is nothing to prevent you selling as anyone else with the same problem on this thread? The 14 day notice, as I've explained whether modified or not, presents no real different hurdle as all the creditor can do is send a request for payment from your conveyancing Solicitor? They can't, actually, do anything else until its seen you've declined to pay from the sale proceeds?

Its doubtful an application to defer payment of the Charge would be entertained as it would, most likely, be the decision of the creditor whether to defer or not? But you lose nothing from asking?

Selling as an option may depend on how easy it would be to sell your property?
  • Sparkles69
    Sparkles69 Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2017 at 11:13PM
    Options
    Hi eggbox, choochybaby 69 here, with a name change. I've not been on for a while, but just asking if we have a solicitor willing to help us at the moment please?
    Thanks, P.
  • DAKOTA45
    DAKOTA45 Posts: 592 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2017 at 8:22AM
    Options
    Many thanks, Eggbox…

I'm being pressured by the lender and am struggling to meet the monthly payments since the DWP reduced the SMI (Support for Mortgage Interest), although i have not missed any payments at all throughout the term of the mortgage..
    The arrears are not huge… about £750, and occurred because of a gap between the previous 2 year fix where the interest rate reverted to the standard rate for one month, before I was able to arrange a new fixed rate.
    I will struggle from April, though, as all support from DWP ends. So I may as well bite the bullet and put the house on the market.

I'm just worried because the creditor will be forewarned of the disposal by having the benefit of the 14 day notice and he will be ready to 'pounce' and the sale won't go through if I refuse to pay the charge, will it.

The other thing is that there is ongoing litigation between myself and the charge holder… I've a feeling that if he loses at trial, I won't see a penny of my claim, as I note from the title deeds of his property that he has recently re mortgaged… (probably right up to the limit), to circumvent any future liability via a CO being placed by me. Very crafty!

It's an unusual situation and I guess I need a good solicitor…one who will, perhaps, see that it makes sense that I retain the money I owe, (perhaps by way of an escrow agreement), at least until the court makes a decision re my claim?

D45
  • begganmanu
    Options
    Hi , an appointed administrator PWC were appointed for a property developer who went bust about 7 years ago .. The house I purchased was a shared equity scheme and I had 75 % with the bank and other 25% was with developer .. so I am in a position now to make an offer to sign off this second charge but they have told me to put it in writing ..obviously the houses have dropped dramatically in price and now worth 160 000 as opposed to 225 000 in 2009. 1 house the same in this estate was sold a year ago for 138 000 and was in not great condition as all the houses have issues as they were threw up In the boom time and especially as the developer started to get into trouble financially ...
    I said over the phone I would be thinking of an offer of around 15-20 000 ..how do yous think I could layout this email to an acting administrator on behalf of the bust developer for a housing estate who had maybe 20 + same scheme .. also I may be the first one making an offer as the ten years have not passed yet and almost sure that nobody had began to pay back anything under the 10 yr scheme ..pls await ur responses
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    Hi Eggbox….

I have agreed a sale on my house…

D45
  • eggbox
    eggbox Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DAKOTA45 wrote: »
    Hi Eggbox….

I have agreed a sale on my house…

D45

Hi Dakota I have sent you a PM
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    eggbox wrote: »
    Hi Dakota I have sent you a PM

Thank you… just seen it & replied. D45
  • Sparkles69
    Sparkles69 Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2017 at 10:24AM
    Options
    Hi Eggbox,
    We are wanting to hopefully market our property soon and are wondering if there is there a solicitor available at present who is willing to deal with people in our our situation? We will also offer to pay the buyers solicitor fees, if this would make things quicker and simpler.
    Thanks, S,69
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    Sparkles69 wrote: »
    Hi Eggbox,
    We are wanting to hopefully market our property soon and are wondering if there is there a solicitor available at present who is willing to deal with people in our our situation? We will also offer to pay the buyers solicitor fees, if this would make things quicker and simpler.
    Thanks, S,69

Is it possible for the sellers' solicitor to handle both sides… or would that be a conflict of interest? D45
  • chkymonky
    chkymonky Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2017 at 11:21AM
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Finally I have found a lender to remortgage my house. the solicitors acting on behalf of lender are adamant to clear of 3 restriction on my house in my name.

1 of the restriction is from Northern rock who has sold to Marlin. I dont pay them anything and they have given up chasing as well.
    not sure how to deal this scenario?

Any advise would be highly appreciated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport