Putting the brakes on before the crash.

Options
2»

Comments

• NeverUnderestimate
    Options
    Hi,

In regards to your dressings which type do you use? And also do you use any barrier creams to help protect skin? They're are also some brilliant pressure relieving cushions available that help, if you haven't already got one.

I think in regards to your health you got to do what you have to do.

Good luck with the saving x
    Never underestimate the ability of what you can achieve.
    current debt
    £534.00/£12395.87
    since September 2016.
    :grinheart
  • TabulaRasa_2
    Options
    @NeverUnderestimate I use a mix of Allevyn and hydracolloid dressings when there's an active open wound. I pack them out for protection with cotton wool. I use a spray that's meant to help keep them adhered (which doesn't really so maybe I should give a go without). Open wounds get Inadine too, if it's closed over but still sore then just cotton wool for a bit of extra padding. At the moment I also put kinesiology tape over the top to try and get a bit more security out of them. The balms I make are the most effective barriers I have found; I've tried a lot but they seem to work nicely. They're nothing complicated (beeswax, shea butter, lanolin, some oils).

I won't feel like I have really paid off CC1 until I get it closed, given my recent problems defaulting to it :rotfl: Working for a few hours now and will then call them.

Also realised, in the midst of everything last week, I forgot I need new glasses. My prescription is so annoying: not enough to qualify for extra NHS help, but too strong for basic glasses online as the combined sphere + cylinder is -8.25. I've already had Glasses Direct reject the prescription, which sucks as they have an offer that would have given me two pairs for £52. I can get them delivered with blank prescriptions and have them reglazed, so I'm going to check if that's cost effective. I've checked other sites but the cost rockets as they say they can't do them without thinning the lenses :(
  • TabulaRasa_2
    TabulaRasa_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2016 at 4:29PM
    Options
    Right, spending diary as that's my major area of concern!

Today:

- £57 on two pairs of glasses, including voucher code. They are blank lenses so I will need to get them reglazed, but with husband's NUS discount should be able to get this done relatively inexpensively.
    - £3.99 on ear buds on eBay for husband as he has lost his. Luckily he doesn't want anything beyond the basics.
    - 99p on a tally counter from eBay. I use them for work to keep myself on track, and my current one has got all jammed up for some reason and is miscounting. I did try using a free app (I actually have about six installed :rotfl:) but it leads to the phone needing to be charged more so is perhaps not so wise on electricity? Though to be honest, I just prefer the physical feel of one, the click is so satisfying :D
    - £16.80 on Amazon. This should only have been £7 for my eye drops (gotta love Sjogren's Syndrome) but I noticed the collagen I use has gone down by £6 since last week. It's getting more expensive as it's a USA import so seemed better to grab while it's at a low price.

I guess the headphones and the tally counter are not essentials but husband asks for virtually nothing, so I'd feel a monster for saying no. Plus it's his money too :o We have totally blended finances and I think this is the first time in literally months he's requested something specific.

I paid on the A*ex but immediately transferred the cash I had onto the card to cover it. Maybe this is the way to go in future.
  • NeverUnderestimate
    Options
    Have you ever tried the hydrofilm or clear film dressings? They are very sticky and pretty waterproof :)
    Never underestimate the ability of what you can achieve.
    current debt
    £534.00/£12395.87
    since September 2016.
    :grinheart
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd not twigged it was Sjogrens you had - my Mum-in-Law has it, which of course means that MrEH also has to be monitored for it too. So far thank goodness he's testing clear for it, which is good.

Well done on starting the spending diary!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • TabulaRasa_2
    Options
    Well, I'm alive - but it's been a rough six months, health-wise and money wise. Now trying to get back on things, but god, finances are worse and I'm not sure how to even begin to pull out of it. For a long time, it was just survival mode with various issues flaring and I didn't even have time to think about tackling the debt when just getting through each day was a massive stress.

Debts are going to be worse when I go and get the figures; potentially a lot worse. As well as the expenses of trips to see a new consultant in Scotland for an experimental treatment for me (that didn't work and actually made things worse...), one of the cats needed to have an expensive scan done and the insurance have only paid a part of it. I'm complaining and arguing it, but in the mean time, it's accruing interest on the card I used to pay for it. So getting rid of that is the first goal. Why bother having insurance if they quibble every little thing? So frustrating.

Anyway, for the moment the first thing I can do is begin the spending diary again and keep an eye on things while I try to get everything back to an even keel. Fingers crossed.
  • TabulaRasa_2
    Options
    Irritated that DH didn't warn me supplies of these were running down, and so I've had to spend today when I didn't want to spend anything until Friday. Argh. But they're necessities, so...

- £11 Ionic Magnesium
    - £16 on two bottles of carrier oil that are needed to make my homemade skin soothing balm

Paid for on the cashback A*ex but then immediately paid the cash to it from my savings account for health stuff. So that's something, I guess.

Feeling tired and rundown. At some point I'm hoping there's going to be an energy surge but, for the moment, just kind of plodding along with things.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    Just an idea have you tried tegaderm over the dressings? It keeps DD's NG in 99% of the time. Also Cavilon is a brilliant barrier for us to stop the dressing causing sores/redness. We use cavilon on everything now, from tapes to sore bums ;)
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TabulaRasa wrote: »
    Irritated that DH didn't warn me supplies of these were running down, and so I've had to spend today when I didn't want to spend anything until Friday. Argh. But they're necessities, so...

- £11 Ionic Magnesium
    - £16 on two bottles of carrier oil that are needed to make my homemade skin soothing balm

Paid for on the cashback A*ex but then immediately paid the cash to it from my savings account for health stuff. So that's something, I guess.

Feeling tired and rundown. At some point I'm hoping there's going to be an energy surge but, for the moment, just kind of plodding along with things.

That's better than "something" - that's good money management that is. Award yourself a :money: immediately!

Good to see you back but sorry things have got rough again. Gentle hugs.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business