Paul O'Brien Solar Installations - Advice on Solar Installations

Options
Hi. Hoping someone here can help. We have been contacted by a rep from the above company telling us he can install solar panels on top of the back of our roof to generate electricity.

The brochure the rep left states installation, (maintainenance for 25 years), insurance and administration are all free and that they are paid.

They say they are paid by the government from the Feed In Tariff for 25 years which covers the cost of installation. After the 25 years you own the system outright.

Basically I'm asking if this is some kind of con and if it's not is it worth getting or are there pitfalls we don't know about.

Thanks for any help at all as I know nothing at all about solar panels on a house!

Comments

• warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    Saw this advertised in places before. Unsure of what to make of it all. Obviously if you were to do whole thing yourself you would make the savings from the electricity generated and also get the feed in tarrif on top of this BUT you'd obviously need to have the money to buy all the kit which isn't cheap I believe. If you don't have the cash then it may be an option BUT then again.... say you sell the house in a few years, how does that effect things? they still own the installation as such and have a 25 year contract with you but you'll no longer own the house so would that effect the sale if the potential buyer doen't want to take on that contract?? What about the "building" work required to fit the panels, are they going to stand over all this as far as potential leaks, breakages, damage that could be caused to your house be it during installation or further down the line through wear and tear ????? Lots of questions would need to be asked.....
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    There is not feed in tariff in N.I. In England they have a guaranteed RPI+ tariff.

I would echo what warmhands said above, there is also a grey area if your house is mortgaged. You don't technically own the roof, the bank does.

In 2012 it's hard imaging some companies being around for 25 days let alone 25 years. Not worth it in my opinion. These sort of rent-a-roof schemes haven't been around long enough to test all the scenarios.
  • JMU-95
    JMU-95 Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mmmmmmh good points both of you. thanks. here is the link to their FAQ on their website: http://www.pobsolar.co.uk/domestic/faqs.html
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    JMU-95 wrote: »
    mmmmmmh good points both of you. thanks. here is the link to their FAQ on their website: http://www.pobsolar.co.uk/domestic/faqs.html

Looks like it's about the English FIT. I have yet to see figures showing solar PV working in N.I.
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    'I have yet to see figures showing solar PV working in N.I.'

Thats because the sun hasnt shone since the scheme was set up :)
  • CountryGirl7676
    Options
    Did any of you go with or have feedback on this company? Have heard they install for free, but I'm wondering if this too is the real deal??
  • tommie
    tommie Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
  • BULLY
    BULLY Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I have tried to contact this company twice in last few weeks with no success, i am not sure they are still in business? if any one knows of any other company offering free solar install in n.ireland please advise.
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The only way to do this is if you own your property outright and have the free cash to pay for the installation - otherwise AVOID!
  • BULLY
    BULLY Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like they are no longer in business, their facebook page was last updated 4th September last year and there is an unanswered question from over a year ago, i did read recently a lot of solar companies had folded with cuts in goverment incentives.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure