Citizen's advice question - Is My Friend Being Exploited at Work?

Options
2»

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    stojio wrote: »
    Thank for all the replies, much appreciated. Feel like I have something to go on.

I do get the argument that it's run of the mill stuff for the industry and I think she would accept that more if it was a staff-wide issue, but she is the only member of the kitchen team made to do these hours. I probably should have mentioned that as well.

Or possibly, the only one daft enough to do those hours? How is she "made" to do the hours? At gunpoint? You see, this is where things come to a head - if you do things and never say no, and never challenge back, then of course an employer is going to push. But, as I said, pushing back doesn't mean there are no risks involved in doing that. In the end you have to decide what you are willing to accept and what you aren't.
  • stojio
    stojio Posts: 107 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 4:23PM
    Options
    There is no need to point a gun at someone's head in order to make them feel like they must do the hours their boss tells them to in order to pay their rent and their bills, especially when they're not sure where to turn to get help.

So maybe she is "daft" and maybe she should have stood up for herself more, but she felt unable to at the time, and now she trying to see what, if any, help is available.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    stojio wrote: »
    There is no need to point a gun at someone's head in order to make them feel like they must do the hours their boss tells them to in order to pay their rent and their bills, especially when they're not sure where to turn to get help.

So maybe she is "daft" and maybe she should have stood up for herself more, but she felt unable to at the time, and now she trying to see what, if any, help is available.

And that is the point I have been making throughout. There is no "help" in that sense. She will have to do something herself. I don't underestimate the way that employers can push you into things. So that isn't a criticism. But in the end, if there isn't real "force" at work, then she is agreeing, no matter how reluctantly. But whatever she does, it is she who does it. There isn't anyone to rescue her. Even if she joined a union, it would still be her on the firing line.

As I said to Tellit01, I am not suggesting that she do nothing. But she must be aware of all points. She has few employment rights, and even if she did have them, if the employer is reported for breaking minimum wage regulations, for example, tracking it down to her is not going to be rocket science. Even if someone else reports it. So she must decide what risk she is prepared to take, if any. And if she can't take that risk, then she needs to keep quiet and just find another job.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    When you think about it EVERYBODY is being exploited at work, it's what we sign up for, to be used/exploited to benefit an organisation in return for money, the issue is to what degree you are exploited.
  • stojio
    stojio Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    And that is the point I have been making throughout. There is no "help" in that sense. She will have to do something herself. I don't underestimate the way that employers can push you into things. So that isn't a criticism. But in the end, if there isn't real "force" at work, then she is agreeing, no matter how reluctantly. But whatever she does, it is she who does it. There isn't anyone to rescue her. Even if she joined a union, it would still be her on the firing line.

As I said to Tellit01, I am not suggesting that she do nothing. But she must be aware of all points. She has few employment rights, and even if she did have them, if the employer is reported for breaking minimum wage regulations, for example, tracking it down to her is not going to be rocket science. Even if someone else reports it. So she must decide what risk she is prepared to take, if any. And if she can't take that risk, then she needs to keep quiet and just find another job.

She's not asking to be "rescued" :rotfl: She's trying to find out what her rights are so she can make an educated decision :)

You can certainly can make people do things without physically forcing them to do them and it doesn't mean they have 'agreed' to it. For example, controlling and coercive behaviour (without violence or explicit threats) in intimate relationships is a criminal offence - would you say a victim of such behaviour is in agreement because they're not being physically forced? This is a different situation but the same principle of force/agreement applies - she is not being physically forced into anything but is certainly not in open agreement with the situation. She is doing 60 - 70 hours a week for no extra pay out of the fear of being fired and losing her income.

As for the fact she is in the firing line, she's aware of this and ready to roll the dice on that one, it's just that up until now she has been unsure of her rights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure