Holiday allocation from employer/Bank holidays

Options
Hi all, just a very quick query I have and I could appreciate any guidance.

Since I started my employment 2 years ago I worked Monday-Friday 7 hours each day however at the start of this year the firm changed our work pattern to so that we work 9 hours on a Monday and 5 hours on a Thursday.

This is not an issue although it has affected our holidays. The firm still classes bank holiday Mondays as being a 7 hour shift as we are in the minority in working longer Mondays, but going forward they are deducting 2 hours (for each bank holdiay Monday) from my annual leave entitlement to make up the shortfall for our longer Monday shifts.

This has left me with 10 hours less holiday to use from my annual entitlement.

When they changed my working pattern they assured me that my holiays wouldn't be affected, so are they in effect able to force me to take 2 hours of my annual entitlment to cover the bank holiday 'shortfall', especially as I had no choice in the changing of my shift?

Feel like I'm getting punished because of the longer Monday hours I've been told to work :(

I would appreciate if anyone could let me know if they can do this. Sorry if I've not explained this clearly.

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if you take 5 x Thursdays though you will be exactly the same though surely during a year?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Puzzled202
    Options
    Hi Takeaway Addict

Thanks for your reply. I do realise that if I took holidays on 5 Thursdays it would balance everyhting out, although I have no need to take Thursdays off therefore doing this would just be wasting my holidays, I'd rather use them on other days when I need them.

I assumed that my annual entitlement was for me to decide how and when it is used, rather than being forced to lose 2 hours of it for every bank holiday Monday.
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    As above, how many hours pay would you get if you took a Thursday off?
  • Puzzled202
    Options
    Hi special boy, I believe it would be 5
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Puzzled202 wrote: »
    Hi Takeaway Addict

Thanks for your reply. I do realise that if I took holidays on 5 Thursdays it would balance everyhting out, although I have no need to take Thursdays off therefore doing this would just be wasting my holidays, I'd rather use them on other days when I need them.

I assumed that my annual entitlement was for me to decide how and when it is used, rather than being forced to lose 2 hours of it for every bank holiday Monday.

The company can allocate all the days if it wants.
  • Puzzled202
    Options
    Ah right, I never realised that, thanks for your help.
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    They can choose when you take any or all your holidays but they can't choose to pay you less than you would normally earn for that day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure