PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegetable Steamer for cooking Rice?

Options
Hi does anyone use their vegetable steamer for cooking rice, I'm on holiday at the moment in my caravan and I'm desperate not to use the gas but I did bring my steamer with me!

Thanks Gin :j

Comments

• homeaway
    homeaway Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure ,i have never done it, i suppose it might work . How vital is the rice for dinner if it does not work???
  • sunflower76
    sunflower76 Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    I use the steamer to cook rice most of the time. As a guide I put one cup of rice to one and a half cups of water in a bowl in the steamer basket. It takes up to 40 minutes depending on the rice type.

Oh and rice swells loads when cooking so make sure that your bowl is plenty big enough!
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    I always steam my rice (in a simple on-the-hob steamer pan), but I boil the rice in water first for 3-5 mins before putting it in the steamer basket. Steaming then only takes about 15-20 mins.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    This might not be relevant, but an alternative is to cook rice in a microwave.
  • ginandtonic1988
    Options
    Many thanks for the suggestions I will give them ago
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills