'Do you support Wednesday's strike?' poll

Options

Comments

• BrianM1975
    Options
    Which isn't actually the case.

So the government deficit doesn't exist and we're sitting on untold riches? Sorry I must have missed something pleas enlighten me...
  • Simongw
    Simongw Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I note that as I type this about twice as many people in the private/charity sector have voted than those who declare they work in the public sector. Why might this be? Maybe public workers are working....?!!
    I am retired, by the way!
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Simongw wrote: »
    I note that as I type this about twice as many people in the private/charity sector have voted than those who declare they work in the public sector. Why might this be? Maybe public workers are working....?!!
    I am retired, by the way!

Being as 26 million work in this country and 6 million work in the public sector law of averages would suggest it is the other way round actually!!
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    Options
    Force_Ten wrote: »
    I'm normally against strikes but in this particular case I agree with those striking. Until such time as this Government (who I did actually vote for!) stop forking out more money than ANY other country in the world on foreign aid and put a stop to indiscriminate immigration which strains the resources of this country to their limit, I have every sympathy with people worried about their pensions. If the Government actually concentrated on this country for a change instead of getting involved in American wars etc. then there would be no need to increase the pension age for anyone. I have had it up to here with Cameron and Clegg and as a lifelong Tory voter, will be voting UKIP next time!!!

You voted for a coalition?

No one else did.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    Options
    BrianM1975 wrote: »
    So the government deficit doesn't exist and we're sitting on untold riches? Sorry I must have missed something pleas enlighten me...

The NHS pension fund has a £2,000,000,000 surplus in case you missed it.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • BrianM1975
    Options
    The NHS pension fund has a £2,000,000,000 surplus in case you missed it.

Acccording to the 2010 NHS pension fund accounts there is a deficit of £286,847,444 on the balance sheet....

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Pensions/Documents/Pensions/0300.pdf
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    The issue is that people will leave the public sector to work in the private sector to earn more annually and make their own pension provision. Whilst those in the private sector are in a hurry to condemn strikers, maybe if they consider those best suited/qualified to teach their children/look after them when they are sick etc. etc. they might take a different view - then again, maybe not.

bexster
  • savvy06
    savvy06 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    I have worked for almost 40 years, in the private sector as a VERY low paid nursery nurse.
    I could never afford a private pension, or even to save. I paid towards my state pension, assuming I would be eligible to collect it at 60, I now have to wait until I am 64.9. (and I am not even sure it will be enough to live on!)
    I am only one of millions, in similar positions, shall we all go on strike! :(
    PS. I was made redundant too!
  • Ann1e
    Ann1e Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    BrianM1975 wrote: »
    I think those in the public sector need to take a look at themselves and remember that it is the taxes of the private sector that pays them and their future pensions.

Have your day of action if you will but ultimately it will make no difference as there ain't enough money in the pot to pay for it.

Those in the public sector pay tax too!
    Ooh, I've gotta little star! What's that for then?!!
  • landsker
    Options
    This should clarify the pension argument!

http://!!!!!!!.com/cgsp8tq
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport