DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 9

Options

Comments

• Hopelessly_Hopeful
    Options
    cocoloco wrote: »
    :wave:Hi everybody and thank you for sharring all the experience and advice!

I have my face-to-face appointment with Payplan today at 2:00pm and feeling rather sick to my stomack :o- I hope everything will be OK.

I can't go on like this much longer.:(

Oh dear, I remember that feeling. I promise you though I have not met anyone on my time here in 4 years that hasn't said they felt so much better afterwards.

Don't hide any debt or agree to struggle with budget. This is your opportunity to make a sustainable budget that works to enable you and yours to live and still pay your debts off. DMPs are informal so you can change budget later but they work best if you make as few changes as possible. Think lots of us felt so relieved to be getting help we set our allowances too low and they were not sustainable.

Welcome to your new life where you WILL have a brighter future. Looking forward to seeing your post later.

HHx
  • Hopelessly_Hopeful
    Options
    Mossop01 wrote: »
    Good luck today coco, u will feel much better once today Is over with, ull have something positive to focus on, we have set up our dmp and start date is 1st march, I still have "wobble" days but nothing could be worse than the worry before we set up the dmp.

My budgeting still needs some work, had family to stay this weekend and instead of saying no to go out to eat, we went along with the majority vote to eat out, now I feel guilty and really mad at myself for slipping!
    We have kept our dmp from everyone, I feel quite ashamed to admit our financial difficulty (and I don't want family to worry) but lesson learned, do not give in to peer pressure and be more organised!

Don't beat yourself up Mossop. We all have the odd slip up and it's early days. You can be creative with the food budget to play catch up. I have a year planner on my spreadsheet you might know! I recheck it on a monthly and weekly basis to adjust accordingly. That way I can identify social events and plan for it one way or another. There's loads of tactics to use and learn from each other about how to contribute etc and most of the time no one has any idea, e.g taking along jacket pots or home made coleslaw to parties will never fail to impress and will be a fraction of the cost of 1 packet of premade horse kebabs.

HHx
  • jubilee14
    Options
    Urgh my washing machine packed in its not that old (6 years) but i think too small for our young family had looked to repair but was going to be £90 call out without the parts labour and VAT so have had to dip into the emergency fund. After much searching around have gone for a not too cheap ( dont want same thing to happen in 2 years time) and def not too expensive. THank goodness the car's MOT this month passed without any work.
    LBM Sept 2012
    started DMP 1.11.12
    Debt [STRIKE]£37012[/STRIKE]/£0 DFD January 2019 :beer:
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You are entitled to a yearly statement. Personally I'd insist on it to make sure no sneaky charges.

Yes just what I was thinking. I am going to have to insist these creditors keep me informed!! It is nice to see the debt coming down. I am hoping for it to come down a lot quicker now the car repayments are going towards the debts. I might even have a bit extra when I start my new job next month but I am waiting to see how much the extra travelling costs first.

The Halifax have been my worst creditor. When I get near to my DFD I will still owe them lots of money so anticipate my DFD being extended by quite a few months just to get rid of them:mad:
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Wow GUO, you have been busy! :T

Are your 2 Halifax ODs in the same name? Or do you have a Halifax CC in the same name with interest stopped? If so, the FOS will fight that for you. We couldn't get the interest stopped on OH's NatWest OD but when we told the FOS that NatWest had stopped the interest on his CC, they said they should be treating all accounts in the same way and we won the case.

I am a spreadsheet addict, I was bad anyway then my twin HH encouraged me and now I am worse :o

I have been busy! The two Halifax bank overdrafts are in the same name. We owed over 2000 on one and only 800 on the other which is why they are being treated differently. They have only just stopped mega interest on OH's Halifax CC and my card they passed over to a DCA. Again the difference came about due to the amount owed. OH's CC had over 4000 on it and mine had about 800. It is quite dispiriting to see OH's debt coming down so slowly, but they have said they will reduce interest now so we shall see what happens.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Mossop I know how you feel, we havent told anyone and I'm hoping to keep it that way if at all possible.

some good news today. Had a letter from Barclaycard saying they will suspend interest and charges on the account providing they receive an update from SC by 15th March. Do you think I need to contact them or leave it to SC.
    I've also wrote to HSBC asking them to suspend interest and referring them to SC. Hopefully I will have a positive response.
    Ive checked the letter again from Tesco re the default. It says a default sum notice for £12 a late payment fee.
    I'm guessing some of letters are automatically issued and have crossed with SC getting in touch with them. I have already wrote with token payments to everyone informing them of our situation.Most have been cashed. Do you think I need to contact anyone again or would you just hang fire until the dmp begins on 1st March.
    It all feels a bit messy at the moment:o
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • Mossop01
    Mossop01 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    Hi julie, im in a similar position, some token payments have been cashed others not, some creditors have replied accepting dmp others have not! I dont know whether im being impatient or whether to send letters again....my dmp also starts in 1st and SC told me payments were dispersed to creditors by the 3rd but in here people are saying 25th? Should i make another token payment just in case?

I think what im going to do it resend token payments to all creditors again with another letter requesting to freeze interest just to be on the safe side, will only be able to make £1 this month tho not £5 to each one
    Does anyone think this will be acceptable?
    LBM Dec 2012 total debt 33,889 :eek:dmp started March 2013 DFD Dec 2024
    Nov 2015 balance £22,679 going in the right direction!!
    Onwards n upwards!:T
  • Hopelessly_Hopeful
    Options
    Hi

You pay SC or either 1st or the 10th. Regardless they send payment to the creditors on the 25th.

You need to make sure you send £1 token to each creditor for the due period. I.E dont let more than 31 days go without some form of payment.

Hope that helps.

HHx
  • Find_The_Real
    Options
    Hi Julie

I had the same letter from Barclaycard when I entered my DMP having sent off the standard letters that they recommended to my creditors. I just sent another letter to Barclaycard stating that my DMP had been setup with the client reference number, that first payment would be made by SC on the 25th and that I gave permission to contact them with the number.

With the default it may be more a late payment notice as when I defaulted on a loan they sent a letter stating that they had issued a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and it detailed the loan amounts in full.

It can get a bit confusing at times with amount of paperwork it seems to generate, I have 2 folders with the house repossession and I still get loads even though it is now formally in the hands of the mortgage company.

Good luck with it all I am sure it will get easier as the months go by.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
  • Mossop01
    Mossop01 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all just had a blind panic and sent all creditors another £1 each online to be on the safe side!
    I know I've sent them once but it spooked me that I might miss a payment before SC processes payment to them, call me stupid, but I'm still crippled by the guilt of not paying them on time or what they're asking for.
    Having a "wobble" day feel really unnerved by the whole thing today, but tomorrows another day and I must keep thinking positive.... Things WILL get better!
    LBM Dec 2012 total debt 33,889 :eek:dmp started March 2013 DFD Dec 2024
    Nov 2015 balance £22,679 going in the right direction!!
    Onwards n upwards!:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport