Debt free dream

Options
13»

Comments

• Caspeia
    Caspeia Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Oh another positive note, he actually passed his theory test on Tuesday. We booked it ages ago, he didnt feel prepared and he'd have to pay the bus money to get there so was originally was just not going to go. We didnt realise until the night before as we had been so concerned about his job it had slipped our minds. We decided just to take a risk, might aswell try it since he had paid for it and he passed!
  • Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Caspeia, I'm sorry about your partner's job. Hopefully he'll get taken on permanently by Amazon after Xmas and you'll end up in a better position than before! Good news about the theory test too.
    I also put quite a lot of my debts down to MH and I think it's quite common. Your figures are totally manageable and you're young, which goes in your favour! Good luck, you've got this!
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • Caspeia
    Options
    Not updated in a while...

Money wise we're good, bit of a lull between starting work and getting first pay. He'll get paid on Friday and should be around £350, this week he is doing 11hrs overtime and will come out with around £530 before tax next week! We're trying to decide what to do about buses. A weekly ticket costs £28.70, to get there he is leaving at 5pm for a 7pm start, he finishes at 5.30am and then doesn't get home till 7.15am. It means he is out of the house for 14hr 15min a day, if he was to get the staff bus which takes him half way home he'd save half an hour on the way to work and 45 minutes on the way home. Meaning his total time out of the house is about 13hrs, it would give him more time with the kids as currently he gets in and goes to sleep, wakes up at 2.30pm gets ready, picks toddler up at 3.30pm and then has an hour and a half until he needs to leave. He says he feels like he hasn't seen us at all these days, the staff bus is £2 each way. He has to get the staff bus on a Sunday morning as there is no public buses until 7.30am so I pick him up off the bus. So currently total cost is £30.70 a week.
    He is doing 5 shifts a week, so that would be £20 extra a week. We're umming and ahhing about if we should pay the extra for the staff bus since it would mean a shorter commute and more time with the kids. Even if he was to get the staff bus half of the time.

Theres also a monthly ticket for £110.30 which saves around a tenner compared to buying 4 weekly tickets plus a couple of days of a 5th weekly ticket.

I haven't paid anything off the credit cards but I also haven't spent a penny on them! Very happy. On Friday I will pay some money off. I need to update totals from when I bought the wedding stuff in the previous post and the balance transfer I did. I will do this is in a new post.
  • Caspeia
    Options
    Halifax: £670 (0% until June 2018)
    Lloyds: £1268.78 (0% until November 2019)
    TSB: £978.03 (0% until September 2018)
    Sofa: £1449.56

Total: £4366.37

I've been putting some money aside for the cats and wedding.
    I have £120 towards their food, I need £165.60 and I have 12 days food left so I will need to order soon. I will order after Fridays pay.

In the wedding fund we now have £110
  • Little_Miss_Winner
    Options
    Hows everything going ? x
  • Scott_Weiland_2
    Options
    Caspeia wrote: »
    Not updated in a while...

Money wise we're good, bit of a lull between starting work and getting first pay. He'll get paid on Friday and should be around £350, this week he is doing 11hrs overtime and will come out with around £530 before tax next week! We're trying to decide what to do about buses. A weekly ticket costs £28.70, to get there he is leaving at 5pm for a 7pm start, he finishes at 5.30am and then doesn't get home till 7.15am. It means he is out of the house for 14hr 15min a day, if he was to get the staff bus which takes him half way home he'd save half an hour on the way to work and 45 minutes on the way home. Meaning his total time out of the house is about 13hrs, it would give him more time with the kids as currently he gets in and goes to sleep, wakes up at 2.30pm gets ready, picks toddler up at 3.30pm and then has an hour and a half until he needs to leave. He says he feels like he hasn't seen us at all these days, the staff bus is £2 each way. He has to get the staff bus on a Sunday morning as there is no public buses until 7.30am so I pick him up off the bus. So currently total cost is £30.70 a week.
    He is doing 5 shifts a week, so that would be £20 extra a week. We're umming and ahhing about if we should pay the extra for the staff bus since it would mean a shorter commute and more time with the kids. Even if he was to get the staff bus half of the time.

Theres also a monthly ticket for £110.30 which saves around a tenner compared to buying 4 weekly tickets plus a couple of days of a 5th weekly ticket.

I haven't paid anything off the credit cards but I also haven't spent a penny on them! Very happy. On Friday I will pay some money off. I need to update totals from when I bought the wedding stuff in the previous post and the balance transfer I did. I will do this is in a new post.

my advice do anything you can so he has a shorter commute if it costs a wee bit more do it. I work nights and i am pulling out 105 on travel to work, it takes me 90mins to get to work the same home. On a sunday for me its 2 hours 15mins gerrrrr as i have to go bus/train the bus.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • Caspeia
    Options
    Just been plodding along nicely this month.

Halifax: £600
    Lloyds: £1200
    TSB: £900
    Sofa: £1402.80

Total: £4102.80

So thats £263.57 paid off since I updated on the 11th of December!

I also bought the cat food and have started putting money in their account for next time, this has £70 in there. We have £240 saved towards the wedding and £200 has been put in an emergency savings account.

For our honeymoon we don't need much spending money as its all inclusive, we will just need a little bit to buy a souvenir. I've been putting 20p and under in a tub, I'll cash it out before we go. I've got money put aside to pay for the babies passport as well. I need to book a hotel at the airport and parking still, we live in Scotland but have a 6am flight from Manchester so staying down there the night before will just be a lot easier with two kids.
  • Little_Miss_Winner
    Options
    Caspeia wrote: »

For our honeymoon we don't need much spending money as its all inclusive, we will just need a little bit to buy a souvenir. I've been putting 20p and under in a tub, I'll cash it out before we go. I've got money put aside to pay for the babies passport as well. I need to book a hotel at the airport and parking still, we live in Scotland but have a 6am flight from Manchester so staying down there the night before will just be a lot easier with two kids.

Just a little tip from a Mancunian :D Airport hotel and Airport carpark will charge you a fortune. We always park at a park and ride and the guys there drive you to airport (in less than 10 mins) drop you straight at terminal door, its so easy- theyre fab and cheap!. Try looking at hotels just around the area to stay the night- and then drive into the park n ride in the morning. PM me if you need any tips ;);)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure