Is my boss expecting too much from me too soon?

Options
13»

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In my company I regularly recruit at 50k. I would expect your first week to be shown systems etc. In meetings Set up the deal. Close the deal after saying to boss I have sorted xyz can you confirm this is OK and I'll get it signed up.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the reply all. As mentioned before, I did a similar role for a year previously which paid near the same amount as this one and I got training and essentially given direction. I am also very careful not to bull !!!! on my CV or in an interview. I have the experience for the role but I don't have experience in the industry so need just a little nudge in the right direction.

If you had training in your previous role at a similar wage then I can understand why you are a bit peeved at the lack of training in your current role. But still, 50k?! For the majority of people there would be an expectation of hitting the ground running for that sort of wage! That's serious money right there... Mind you, maybe you are from London which sort of dilutes it a bit?

Though I note your post dated 10th March:
    However, the isolation, backwards and frustrating nature of the company really dragged my energy down and brought me into depression.

I thought it was me being !!!! at my job why the performance was not there and the general pressures of life why I was borderline suicidal. Turns out 90% was the job.

I can assure you that I hate my job just as much as you. But I earn my coin so that I can live, pay my bills and eat.

If you couldn't hack your previous job, and you can't hack your current job, then are you really at the 50k level?

You've been given two more chances at a 50k job than many intelligent, passionate and well-rounded people in the world...

Deal with it.
    For those talking about initiative, I have taken that on board and started forcing things through myself in regards to training and finding out stuff. That was not really the biggest problem though. Since I have started, I have organised meetings with some large business organisation and got moving on other stuff as well.

Finally! :D
    The main issue is that I think it is important, regardless of your experience, for you to know the companies workings. What you can offer, what you can't etc. Especially for me as I am in a new role (for the company), not from the industry and supposed to be partnering with my boss in getting this side of business development up and running. As I have done, I can hit the ground running and get a bunch of meetings in, but if you want them to be efficient, you need to be with me on at least the first one.

Then stop complaining and get on with it...

Or hand in your notice without another job lined up and swan into another high paid job.

At the 50k level it rightfully should be 'sink or swim' and I'm glad that you are learning this. People learn that at a much lower level.
  • Nathaniel_Essex
    Options
    Hi all, just a bit of an update. So I have been working here for a bit longer. As some people here suggested, on my salary I should just be getting on with things and I have been doing so. I think the main problem is is my boss is one of those people who is all over the place and has 0 time management skills.

It affects me because we are working on this new sales route together. For example, I have agreed a number of deals quite early on but they need his sign off which he never gets around to doing. I am happy about meeting new prospects myself but he is insistent on being part of the meetings. Problem is he has already on a number of occasions cancelled meetings last minute, does not respond to diary invites or does not put things in his diary so when I do book things it ends up being double-booked.

I feel that my performance is explicitly linked to his.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    sounds like you got a crap boss and colleague to carry.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, just a bit of an update. So I have been working here for a bit longer. As some people here suggested, on my salary I should just be getting on with things and I have been doing so. I think the main problem is is my boss is one of those people who is all over the place and has 0 time management skills.

It affects me because we are working on this new sales route together. For example, I have agreed a number of deals quite early on but they need his sign off which he never gets around to doing. I am happy about meeting new prospects myself but he is insistent on being part of the meetings. Problem is he has already on a number of occasions cancelled meetings last minute, does not respond to diary invites or does not put things in his diary so when I do book things it ends up being double-booked.

I feel that my performance is explicitly linked to his.

Are these problems similar to the ones you had at your last job?

(And please stick to one name!)
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    +1

If i'd just bought in a £50K a year sales guy, i'd expect him to be on sales like a dog with a bone

What make crunching noises as he chews and slurps meat off and tries to suck the marrowbone out.

Then tries to hump your leg...:eek::D
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stuart30 wrote: »
    What make crunching noises as he chews and slurps meat off and tries to suck the marrowbone out.

Then tries to hump your leg...:eek::D

:D

Yes? Arent all sales people like that?
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you decided if you're Nathaniel or Andrew yet?

This name switching doesn't sound like a 50k-er to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure