pension scheme for self employed (UK)

Options
2»

Comments

• TheLittleSaver
    Options
    Thank you very much @Suffolk lass for the exhaustive answer!
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @xylophone

just did... so, if I undersstood correctly, I am entitled to the New State Pension and I don't need to do anything NOW, just claim it once I will reach the pension age? Is that correct?
    If so, that would be amazing! But I still need another pension, as I guess the New State Pension alone won't be enough.

Also, how come you are suggesting "Cavendish Online FundSupermarket Pension"? Are you using it?
    What's the advantage of join it, rather than using someone else?

There are different types of "taxes". To get a state pension you have to pay Nics. national insurance as opposed to income tax.

Have you always been SE? Or have you ever worked for a company? Are you paying SE Nics right now?

You will need a min of 10 years contributions to claim any SP.
  • TheLittleSaver
    Options
    Hi @atush

yes, I have always been SE, although sometimes companies paid me as PAYEE (this has been happening for the first couple of years, then I sorted it out and started getting paid only as SE).
    Anyway I have got an accountant who does my tax return every year, I remember asking her some clarifications about pensions and she said that it wasn't here "field" (which seems quite odd, in my opinion, what do you think?).

Yeah I know I need at least 10 years, but it would be nice if I could see at which point I am now, so I can see if I am actually contributing to the SP or not (rather than just waiting 10 to 35 years and have a bad surprise...)

I am sure there must be a link in the gov.uk where I should be able to check my personal situation, pension wise?
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi @atush

yes, I have always been SE, although sometimes companies paid me as PAYEE (this has been happening for the first couple of years, then I sorted it out and started getting paid only as SE).
    Anyway I have got an accountant who does my tax return every year, I remember asking her some clarifications about pensions and she said that it wasn't here "field" (which seems quite odd, in my opinion, what do you think?).

Yeah I know I need at least 10 years, but it would be nice if I could see at which point I am now, so I can see if I am actually contributing to the SP or not (rather than just waiting 10 to 35 years and have a bad surprise...)

I am sure there must be a link in the gov.uk where I should be able to check my personal situation, pension wise?

It depends on what information you were asking her for. Accountants are not allowed to give financial advice, as far as I know.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,835 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi @atush

you can get a state pension forecast from here
    https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

you can check your NI record from here
    https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Options
    you can get a state pension forecast from here
    https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

you can check your NI record from here
    https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

If the OP had clicked on the links in my first post, he would have found all this information........
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Options
    And he should really know (as should his accountant) if they are currently paying SE Nics.

Accountants SHOULD be au fait with the requirements of paying Nics, but they are not supposed to advise on personal pensions/sipps. So when you say 'Pensions' they can mean 2 different things, and your accountant I assume thought you meant personal pensions not state pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure