Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    warrenb wrote: »
    I am literally sitting here waiting for a suitable battery solution within price to come along and I would bite your hand off to get it. I am still quite tempted by the Growatt SP2000.

I like the fact it is DC side, so just plug and play and you don't loose any FIT payments with it, because what doesn't get to the meter during the day , will as the battery feeds the inverter after dark.

I'm sitting and waiting, and not patiently. However, a DC side battery will impact FiT receipts as the battery losses will be before the TGM. So let's say you manage to draw 1,000kWh out of the battery during the year, then you probably put around 1,100kWh in, so that's 100kWh that won't show up on the TGM.

The issue becomes far less important as you get to the 12-16p FiT, and I'd suggest is largely irrelevant for the 4p FiT.

Edit - Z beat me to it!
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 13 April 2017 at 12:41PM
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    There are those who think that in a few years roof top solar and battery storage will cheaper than distribution cost per kWh. Remind me, why do we need Hinkley Point C?

I'm in the same camp as Z, I think time and changing energy use and generation has given HPC a kicking, but playing Devil's Advocate:-

PV even with batts will fall short in the winter, though the counter argument is that PV is just one tool in the RE toolbox.

HPC is a first of a kind, so future reactors will be cheaper, but in reality it's EDF's 3rd go at building out the EPR design, with massive cost over runs and delays in Flamanville (France) and (Olkiluoto) Finland.

Investing in the UK nuclear industry will bring other designs and cheaper reactors. But Toshiba is in desperate financial problems due to its Westinghouse arm which is going bankrupt, yet is supposed to bring us the Moorside reactors.

Nuclear doesn't need back up capacity like RE, for when the wind doesn't blow, or the sun doesn't shine. But each individual nuclear reactor is so powerful (500MW to 1.6GW) that an unplanned outage would cause serious grid disruption ...... so back up is needed.

Nuclear doesn't need storage, unlike RE when supply is high and demand is low. But nuclear is inflexible, and ramping down supply to 60% (RE can be capped to zero if necessary) means loss of revenue, preventing nuclear capacity from exceeding minimum leccy demands (during the night), without deploying storage, and as wind capacity increases, the margin for uncapped nuclear and uncapped wind will get smaller, so storage seems unavoidable, with or without nuclear.

TBF, if nuclear was cheap, quick to roll out and safe, then it would be an excellent part of a low carbon generation mix. But sadly, it doesn't seem to be able to tick those boxes, and the 2010's have been exceptionally cruel to nuclear with far faster reductions in RE costs than most expected, and now the potential for cheaper (if not cheap) storage from small demand side, right up to vast supply side.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

Nuclear doesn't need storage, unlike RE when supply is high and demand is low. But nuclear is inflexible, and ramping down supply to 60% (RE can be capped to zero if necessary) means loss of revenue, preventing nuclear capacity from exceeding minimum leccy demands (during the night).

I would argue that the inflexibility of nuclear means that storage is needed to use up the excess supply when demand is low. I suppose I would go even further and suggest whatever method of electricity production storage is becoming increasingly necessary to cope with the fluctuations in demand.

Whilst nuclear is more predictable than PV or wind, it doesn't solve the problem of matching supply and demand effectively.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    I would argue that the inflexibility of nuclear means that storage is needed to use up the excess supply when demand is low. I suppose I would go even further and suggest whatever method of electricity production storage is becoming increasingly necessary to cope with the fluctuations in demand.

Whilst nuclear is more predictable than PV or wind, it doesn't solve the problem of matching supply and demand effectively.

Yep, and Doh! Forgot to point that out, will go back and update.

It's also important to think through where nuclear comes in the supply chain. For instance if we have a very sunny day, and PV gen goes way up, and needs some sort of capping is it PV's fault, or should we look to the 10GW or so of nuclear chugging away as 'baseload'.

If nuclear was more flexible, then presumably the grid would treat it like other sources and ask it to dial back as cheaper leccy is available, but of course nuclear needs (and will get) guaranteed supply status.

This might seem picky, but just because nuclear is always on (ish) does that necessarily make it indespensible baseload at the expense of cheaper intermittent sources. I'm not actually sure what is, or isn't fair here.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Another potential nail in nuclear's coffin comes from Germany with a possible subsidy free off-shore wind farm for commissioning in 2025.

EnBW gains approval for first German offshore wind auction for the 900 megawatt “He Dreiht” offshore wind farm
    The EnBW bid for the construction of the 900 megawatt project did not include EEG subsidies. Following the acceptance of the bid today, the path is now clear for one of the largest offshore projects planned in Europe.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    And more on German wind (so to speak):

Dong zero sum game off Germany
    Dong Energy filed subsidy-free bids for the 240MW OWP West and 240MW Borkum Riffgrund West 2 wind farms in Germany’s first competitive auction, meaning the projects will not receive nothing on top of the wholesale power price.

Hmm, not receive nothing, should we be suspicioussss?

BTW, 7MW, 8MW, even 9MW turbines are OMG gigantic, so I can only imagine what these beauts will look like:
    Dong is basing the bids on turbines of 13MW to 15MW. It said the sites feature scale, high quality wind speeds and extended lifetimes of up to 30 years.

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 April 2017 at 8:58PM
    Options
    It is almost certain that Nissan will release a 60kwh battery leaf in September.

So I am thinking storage as most people won't need the 60kwh most days. So if we had one we would probably be happy to have it at 30kwh charged starting most days only needing to charge to 60kwh once a week or less for longer trips. So this leaves 30kwh that could be used for storage. Now we know the batteries do degrade over time with charge cycles but this can be limited by avoiding charging to 100% - so lets limit the charging for storage to 50kwh - leaving 20kwh for storage use.

Now lets assume 1m 60kwh cars in the UK (just 5% of the UK fleet) but that at any one time only half of them will be available for storage charge/discharge (the rest are being used or need all the charge for longer journeys) . This still gives a very useful 10gwh of storage on the grid distributed nicely around the country - and the good bit being the batteries and charging inverter are already paid for as part of the car so adding all this storage would be minimal cost leaving a nice rental income for the car owners for their storage.

Does this make sense?
    I think....
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Does this make sense?

Yes, but would it make financial sense?

YES - based on the emergence of these Australian business models linking 1,000's of households together, and then negotiating a market rate for the leccy supply at high peak demand times. An example (going back) had households being paid $1/kWh (equivalent to $1,000/MWh) when spot prices had spiked to $1,400/MWh. At 61p/kWh, I'm sure many of us would be happy to 'help', though in reality prices would be lower in the UK, and possibly opportunities less frequent, but it still works.

In your example if just 1m households just drew 3kW from the car batts, 1kW for self usage, and 2kW for export, that would reduce peak supply needs by 3GW, or a whole HPC!

BTW, I watched a video review yesterday of an American checking out the Chevy Bolt. He showed the charging screen, and how to configure it. It started with a charge immediately option, or delay charging. The delay charging option allowed him to enter all of his leccy supply information, such as start/end times of cheap leccy etc etc. So these cars seem to already be set up to work with (not against) you.

I assume that the addition of discharge options, particularly a minimum battery level, would be the simplest of additions to these 'rules'.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    The main advantage to AC side solutions is that they can effectively be 'plug&play', effectively being totally independent of existing microgeneration technologies (ie ideal for retrofit), can co-exist with multiple technologies, or simply operated to decouple demand from supply to address future peak-demand punitive tariffs resulting from the introduction of HHM.

HTH
    Z

Further to your comment on AC batts for retrofit, I saw this comment on Navitron yesterday which offers the flip side argument for new installs, especially for situations where the DNO may not allow more than 3.68kW. Hopefully, as and when costs come down, we'll have multiple solutions, for all situations:-
    We've got several 8ish kWp systems installed using battery inverters that stay within the 3.68kW G83 connection limit. Nedap or solax type inverters that are DC coupled to the battery are best as they can utilise 3.68kW AC + 2kW DC to the battery so 5.68kW, or up to 7kW if you use a 5kW inverter and export limit it to 3.68kW.

Obviously that depends on the battery capacity and consumption levels, but it's doable and works in the right circumstances.

Seems quite obvious now, but hadn't occurred to me at all.

BTW - The poster is an installer, in fact he's 'the installer' that has very kindly answered loads of questions over the last 5 or 6 years that I've put to him, when raised on MSE, thereby improving our overall knowledge base.

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Nuclear doesn't need back up capacity like RE, for when the wind doesn't blow, or the sun doesn't shine.
    But it does need protection from outside threats and it will require 20,000 years of looking after the waste material.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure