Paying for a sports therapist/physio

Options
2»

Comments

• emeraldbugle
    Options
    I've just started this, it gets good reviews http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/
  • cjj_2
    cjj_2 Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Just a thought but have you ever tried taping and strapping on the problem area ?
    Cherish those you have in your life because you never know when they won't be there anymore.

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up & never give up.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately, any injuries to do with running can take many weeks to heal. The problem is that running (like other sports) is addictive, and we value how long it should take to get over an injury on the basis of how long we can mentally cope with resting! It doesn't work this way.

My own experience and that I have seen with friends is that time alone will heal most problems unless they have become chronic. Exercises can help, but won't cure.

I went to a sport physio once at the cost of £40 when I was desperate. She is highly qualified, but although her assessment was interesting, it certainly didn't do much in helping me get better. She wanted me to come back for exercise, but as it's been said, you can work these out yourself. There are no rocket science and in the end, it's probably the time elapsing during these exercises that makes most of the difference.

I hope you are now back running without trouble.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    In the long term the most useful thing I got out of a physio assessment was guidance on which of the several imbalances which could have caused the problem had been most at fault in my case. So rather than going through the whole list of exercises for evermore I have one to concentrate on as a preventative.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • dandelionclock30
    dandelionclock30 Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2014 at 2:53PM
    Options
    I had a serious sport injury last year, the NHS were no help and I paid to see a private physio who is outstanding and its £45.00 per hour. If I hadnt seen him I would have had months of pain.
    I've been to NHS physios before and they have been not very good. I had to cure my own siaticia with videos off you tube.
    The Physio who was good gave me sports massage as well as accupuncture and the injury felt better straight away and it continued to get better. Prior to going I was in a terrible state.
    OP this guy is very good http://www.elitephysio.co.uk/ hes called Ian Blackburn.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cjj wrote: »
    Just a thought but have you ever tried taping and strapping on the problem area ?

Depending on the issue, it may not actually help. I was told last year that my hamstrings were tight, hence the amount of pain I was in. Taping wouldn't really help this.

I now have to go back to physio again. I am having some serious trouble after my half marathon a few weeks ago. I also have a reoccurring hip problem. :(
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    Thanks all

I am still not running. The achilles is slowly improving, so much so that I dont really notice it at all now. I am doing aerobics, kettlercise and cycling but not running. Although I really miss it my gut feeling is that running is still a bad idea at the moment.

I havent seen a GP or a physio, just kept doing the exercises that I got off the internet. I also talked to a friend who tore her achilles and she had some good suggestions for exercises and stretches.

I am told that it can take up to 6 months before I might be completely recovered and I am just relieved that I am making good progress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure