Student Loan Write Off

Options

Comments

• wildballoonlady
    Options
    I took out a student loan for a three year degree course during 96/97/98. I have deferred the loan repayments since then due to starting a family and then only doing limited work because of having young kids. I never seem to earn above the amount the SLC state you need to earn to start repaying. I'm 3 years from being 50 years old. What will happen if I'm unable to make repayments beyond that age. Will I have to repay the whole lot by the time I'm 60?
    :money:
  • vaporate
    vaporate Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Options
    Who cares about peoples opinions. Rules are rules. Student loans are nothing like real bank loans.

Whine all you like but I like the terms. That is why I signed the dotted line.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • vaporate
    vaporate Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Options
    KrazyKel wrote: »
    I was wondering about student loans too! I graduated 2 years ago, and due to health reasons i cant work full time at the moment (Who knows in the future - hopefully will) I was more worried about when i manage to earn full time wage / 15k etc, how much interest will be added and how much longer it will take me to pay it all off!

Chill. You have nothing to worry about. You must earn 15k to start paying. I f you earn less than 15k till you are 65 for argument sake, you never pay it back and it gets wiped away. No bad effects or anything.

Good deal if you ask me.

Bank loan is a different story
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    Options
    marshallka wrote: »
    I never said he had a "degree certificate" and did not say every student and I am annoyed at our system. Where you say that you indebted yourself every year just to get by that is life. We indebt ourselves to get by by having our mortgage and paying our bills but if we get into debt then we pay them off and always have done. If we don't pay them then we get CCJ'd and also most probably lose our homes. My son worked for an apprenticeship and after doing 12 months of earning £2 per hour and working hard as well they got rid of him as they could then get another mug instead of paying him the minimum wage he was entitled to.

If every student indebted themselves and then could not get the perfect "real job" paying the "perfect wage" and left the debts to the rest of us then where would this country be.

My husband is a fully qualified electrician and never went to uni. He got a job and went to college at night and suffered that way. I am not a lover of student loans and all this debt that is often left and written off. My husband earns under 25K now... could we leave all our debts for 25 years that we have purely as he had to learn in the evening. Perhaps he does not have a "real job!!!".

Sorry if i am waxing lyrical here again but I am entitled to post. The OP was asking about if he/she did not work then would the loan be written off. I simply expressed my own views on the subject.

There are genuine people like myself though that won't ever be able to work full time again due to health reasons and had to leave university because a relapse came and i got behind and they couldn't give me the holidays to catch up that loans may get written off...

The student loans company are hounds though. I am paying back an overpayment that they made whilst I was at uni and whilst I pay a token amount each month I do get the harrasing calls asking for more money and why can't i afford more and each time I have to explain well my disablity benefits haven't gone up that's why...If i suddenly get a wonderful high paying part time job then i would pay it back...
  • Success40
    Success40 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2010 at 10:58PM
    Options
    I have a student loan which was taken out in 1997. I am still willing to pay my loan even though i have never earnt over the threshold of what I thought was £15k buit now believe to be £27k?
    I studied when my children were young at the local college and was encouraged to go on to HE studies after my GNVQ finished. I was then and still am now a single parent. I couldn't make the long journey to my course, it meant very early starts and very late evenings which just wasn't practicle with 2 children under the age of 10. So I droppped out of that course within a matter of months.
    I have since found out that he SLC have sold my loan on to a debt receovery agancy as I failed to return my deferment forms.
    I am now on a FdA course which I started this September but I am unable to get funding for it anywhere. The SLC wont give me another loan (or Grant as I am entitled to a SLC Grant due to having dependant children), FdA's are not eligble for outside grants or CDL's as they are HE courses. So I will have to drop out in a few weeks if I don't get the funding!
    I am in a lose lose situation, I cant get the job that I want because I don't have any qualifications, and I cant get the qualifications because I am in debt. So either way I can never get a good job and increase my earning potential.

I think its rotten of the SLC to penalise me from getting an education because of my financial circumstances. I am 39 now and still a temp surrounded by people 10 to 20 years younger than me doing the same work and getting paid thousands a year more than me with all the benefits on top like holiday and sick pay (which you don't get as a temp)! I cant go on training with work because I'm not classed as 'staff'!
    It's crazy to think that just because you didn't send back a peice of paper your entire life can be ruined.
    I have never been a stay at home mother, I worked and studied and it's got me nowhere. The friends I have who stayed at home and claimed benefits have great stress free lives and very little debt if any at all and they have husbands and they still get tax credits on top of their earnings if one of them decideds to go to work. I have to pay the same bills as these couples on a fraction of the pay. I pay the same council Tax as a family of of 4 next to me whwre all four are working.
    I literally work for nothing, after my last pay went into the bank I had 0.08p left for the week after all my DD's had gone out.
    Having a Student Loan and going back to college has been one of the worst things I have ever done in my life. Sad thing is I know the only way I can get ahead is to return to education, but I have been refused that!!
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Success40 wrote: »
    I have a student loan which was taken out in 1997. I am still willing to pay my loan even though i have never earnt over the threshold of what I thought was £15k buit now believe to be £27k?
    I studied when my children were young at the local college and was encouraged to go on to HE studies after my GNVQ finished. I was then and still am now a single parent. I couldn't make the long journey to my course, it meant very early starts and very late evenings which just wasn't practicle with 2 children under the age of 10. So I droppped out of that course within a matter of months.
    I have since found out that he SLC have sold my loan on to a debt receovery agancy as I failed to return my deferment forms.
    I am now on a FdA course which I started this September but I am unable to get funding for it anywhere. The SLC wont give me another loan (or Grant as I am entitled to a SLC Grant due to having dependant children), FdA's are not eligble for outside grants or CDL's as they are HE courses. So I will have to drop out in a few weeks if I don't get the funding!
    I am in a lose lose situation, I cant get the job that I want because I don't have any qualifications, and I cant get the qualifications because I am in debt. So either way I can never get a good job and increase my earning potential.

I think its rotten of the SLC to penalise me from getting an education because of my financial circumstances. I am 39 now and still a temp surrounded by people 10 to 20 years younger than me doing the same work and getting paid thousands a year more than me with all the benefits on top like holiday and sick pay (which you don't get as a temp)! I cant go on training with work because I'm not classed as 'staff'!
    It's crazy to think that just because you didn't send back a peice of paper your entire life can be ruined.
    I have never been a stay at home mother, I worked and studied and it's got me nowhere. The friends I have who stayed at home and claimed benefits have great stress free lives and very little debt if any at all and they have husbands and they still get tax credits on top of their earnings if one of them decideds to go to work. I have to pay the same bills as these couples on a fraction of the pay. I pay the same council Tax as a family of of 4 next to me whwre all four are working.
    I literally work for nothing, after my last pay went into the bank I had 0.08p left for the week after all my DD's had gone out.
    Having a Student Loan and going back to college has been one of the worst things I have ever done in my life. Sad thing is I know the only way I can get ahead is to return to education, but I have been refused that!!

Part time?
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KrazyKel wrote: »
    I was wondering about student loans too! I graduated 2 years ago, and due to health reasons i cant work full time at the moment (Who knows in the future - hopefully will) I was more worried about when i manage to earn full time wage / 15k etc, how much interest will be added and how much longer it will take me to pay it all off!

As the interest rate is tied to inflation then in real terms the debt will not grow.The amount taken out of your salary is also fixed (it does not vary with how much you owe) so the pain each month won't be any greater.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Success40 wrote: »
    I think its rotten of the SLC to penalise me from getting an education because of my financial circumstances.

I think you mean they are penalising you for not following the procedure to defer payments (and probably ignoring previous letters about it, or do they just pass it straight on to a DRC without contacting you at all?).

So you literally work to pay your DDs rather than for nothing.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • *Kat*
    *Kat* Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow, what are your DD?
  • Success40
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Part time?

Sorry. Part Time as in college or work?

Both are Full Time,

Although i only attend college twice a week in the evenings it is classed as a Full Time course.
    I currently work Full Time as a temp on a very low wage, I am a single parent with 1 dependant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure