Aaargh, do I change MA or persevere?

Options
Hi all,

I've posted a few times recently so to those that have already replied and continue to do so - thank you !

I have an issue with our current MA, he is with Connell's Estate Agents and to be honest, the only reason we're using him right now is we signed up to a "free lifetime mortgage arrangement" last time we sorted a mortgage

He has inputted information incorrectly a few times in the last week or so, which if I hadn't have picked up on would have resulted in us not having anywhere near the mortgage amount we required and various other things that whilst quite minor if just one, add up his minor errors and it really gets more and more worrying

I had asked him to tell me the difference with the 2 and 3 yr fixed rates with the lender he found for us, he emailed this information over and you may recall I posted this yesterday ... anyway, I got back to him this morning and said go ahead with the 3 yr fixed. He has now just come back and said he "missed a significant difference" with the 3 yr fixed rate, this being an up front valuation fee of £390

We have had to pay (only gave card details this morning so hopefully not processed yet) a £99 admin fee to them, (this goes against my idea of "free lifetime mortgage arrangement") also, we have to pay £995 fee for the arrangement of the mortgage with Accord, plus their/his commission from Accord is £1842.75 and now this additional £390.

I'm wondering firstly, do I trust that these are errors that lots of MA make and would we be out of the frying pan into the fire if we were to go elsewhere now?

My income is PAYE and DIV which I believe makes it not straightforward to do the mortgage application otherwise I'd have just done online myself in the first instance

My other thought is that it is just a sales tactic to get more and more cash out of us?

Any thoughts? Do we stick with him and the 2 year fixed and not pay the additional £390 ? Do we stick with him and the 3 year fixed due to paying the £995 fee? Do we go somewhere else and risk delaying the process and potentially just end up in the same position if these are "normal " issues?

Sorry for lengthy post, skim through any irrelevant rant part !

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 February 2018 at 4:16PM
    Options
    Never ever use EA's services, they are not usually good value nor good service.
    For example got quoted else where of 600 pounds for a building survey, Connells quoted me for 1000, what a joke.

If you have time get a different one, one local and one you can trust. Otherwise your just putting peeing against the wind, given the mistakes and potentially not whole of the market.

There is no such thing as a lifetime mortgage arrangement, they can just put up a new company dissolve the old one and you cannot use the old agreement. Pointless really
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jolester wrote: »
    the only reason we're using him right now is we signed up to a "free lifetime mortgage arrangement" last time we sorted a mortgage

We have had to pay (only gave card details this morning so hopefully not processed yet) a £99 admin fee to them, (this goes against my idea of "free lifetime mortgage arrangement")
    It goes against mine, too.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure