1 month to go

Options
im 11 months into my BR and its not been easy but not the worst. ive learnt to budget for once in my life which is amazing.

I was paying my surplus to the OR but financially things changed and I had no surplus.

after submitting my finances and going over everything in detail I received an email saying I wont need to pay anything else.

just wondering what happens next

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi cancatsdance,

When you are declared bankrupt in England or Wales you are normally in that state for 12months, so unless your Official Receiver has said otherwise, you should expect to be discharged from the bankruptcy in 1 months’ time. This means that the restrictions you had placed on you during your bankrupt period are no longer applicable (restrictions such as, not being able to be the director of a limited company, not being able to be the trustee in a charity etc.).

In terms of the Income Payment Arrangement (IPA), this can run for a maximum of 3 years from when you are declared bankrupt. So if you declared bankruptcy in Feb 2014, your ability to be made subject to an IPA will be over in Feb 2017. At the moment this has been suspended as you do not have enough surplus money, which is fine. But if your financial circumstances change over the next 2 years (approximately) you will need to contact your Official Receiver again and they will reassess whether or not to reinstate the IPA.

This can sometimes be a bit more complicated if, for example, your financial circumstances change because you have received a lump sum or asset during the 3 years after you are declared bankrupt. It is possible to have an IPA reinstated because of a lump sum, and if that happens you may lose that lump sum, even if you have been discharged. I hope that all makes sense; we do have a factsheet that may be able to offer you more information - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/01 EW Bankruptcy/Default.aspx

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • WaterMan
    WaterMan Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2015 at 3:42PM
    Options
    Sorry wrong thread
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When you are discharged then give it a month or two and then start the credit file clean up.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills