What do banks consider a large loan?

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Consolidating debt without addressing the reason for the overspending is a bad idea. This is not paying off your debts, it is just moving it from credit cards to loan so technically it is restructuring and will no doubt extend the term and overall cost of the debt due to paying it over a longer period. Are you spending more than you have coming in? If so, this is a slippery slope and best addressed sooner rather than later.

You presumably have a £245k mortgage which is more than 5 times your income (unless you have a partner) so having a further £10-£15k unsecured debt is ill advised. Have the credit cards built up through normal living expenses or can you pinpoint how they got up to £12K and are you paying more than the minimum payment on them? You do not need to read many diaries on this forum to realise that you are heading down a path to paying most of your salary out on paying back debt. I am assuming for that rate you are applying for a secured loan which is actually risking the roof over your head. Please think very carefully before proceeding.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • essex.cyclist
    Options
    Thanks for your concern, but it's not like that at all.

The debts have come about after spending a considerable amount of money on home improvement.

Not ideal, but it was the sort of project that once started, it was difficult to stop.

My wife earns good money and we comfortably afford the mortgage and other payments - my plan for the next 12 months is to hopefully use a loan to pay off a family loan, then pay off credit card debts over 12 months. In that time, I can comfortably afford the £180 p/month from my quarterly bonuses.

I c an see how debt can spiral but am convinced this would allow me to have an easier time paying it off, mainly because it allows me to spread my family loan over 5 years rather than trying to pay it off by next Spring.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    I think the fact that you are 'looking' for a £10k loan but could 'manage' on £7.5/8k sort of sums up your management of money.

To have a salary of £45k but credit card debts of £12k and are £2k into a £2.5k overdraft shows you are living well beyond your means. You need to take control of that before even contemplating extra borrowing.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • essex.cyclist
    Options
    I think the fact that you are 'looking' for a £10k loan but could 'manage' on £7.5/8k sort of sums up your management of money.

To have a salary of £45k but credit card debts of £12k and are £2k into a £2.5k overdraft shows you are living well beyond your means. You need to take control of that before even contemplating extra borrowing.

I think the fact that you draw a conclusion about my management of money like that sums you up.

I have control. As I have explained, this year has been particularly expensive because of a house renovation. That has now changed.

Thanks for your input though, really... er... helpful.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    I think the fact that you draw a conclusion about my management of money like that sums you up.

I have control. As I have explained, this year has been particularly expensive because of a house renovation. That has now changed.

Thanks for your input though, really... er... helpful.

Another one who gets all huffy puffy when someone says something they don't like, or hears an answer that doesn't suit them.

The fact that you say you want a loan of £10k but 'could reduce a little if needs be' illustrates your total inability to control money.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • essex.cyclist
    Options
    Another one who gets all huffy puffy when someone says something they don't like, or hears an answer that doesn't suit them.

The fact that you say you want a loan of £10k but 'could reduce a little if needs be' illustrates your total inability to control money.

No it doesn't.

It shows that I could use the money because the low interest rate is preferable to the rate on credit cards.

If you find lots of people get 'huffy puffy' in response to you, maybe you should address how you write your messages, and the content of your messages.

I didn't ask for anyone's view on how I manage my money, so quite why you felt the need to tell me your view is beyond me.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

The signs are all so predictable. All be seen so many times before. No one can tell what to do. However nothing will change unless you actually want to do something about it yourselves. Extending repayment of debt. Just means that there's extended window in which another financial event could have an impact. Also the novelty soon wears off. Easy to overspend on yet something else to get a buzz.
  • essex.cyclist
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    The signs are all so predictable. All be seen so many times before. No one can tell what to do. However nothing will change unless you actually want to do something about it yourselves. Extending repayment of debt. Just means that there's extended window in which another financial event could have an impact. Also the novelty soon wears off. Easy to overspend on yet something else to get a buzz.

Thanks for your input, but you're way off the mark.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It shows that I could use the money because the low interest rate is preferable to the rate on credit cards.

I ran up a similar amount of debt on credit cards for a similar reason. But the difference was that I already had decent lifetime rates on those cards and I wanted more flexibility in repaying the money than I would get from adding more to the mortgage. At that time, the credit cards were the cheapest way of borrowing.

If you are credit worthy you should be able to make use of the extremely good balance transfer offers available which would allow you to continue to borrow that money at a much lower rate.
  • essex.cyclist
    Options
    I ran up a similar amount of debt on credit cards for a similar reason. But the difference was that I already had decent lifetime rates on those cards and I wanted more flexibility in repaying the money than I would get from adding more to the mortgage. At that time, the credit cards were the cheapest way of borrowing.

If you are credit worthy you should be able to make use of the extremely good balance transfer offers available which would allow you to continue to borrow that money at a much lower rate.

Thanks for the comment.

I would agree, but my primary reason for the loan is to pay off a family loan where my parents could do with the money by next Spring.

Doing so would allow me to pay off my credit cards from standard income, with the loan payments coming out of my bonuses.

Unfortunately my bonuses are not big enough to pay off my family loan by next Spring and it's causing me difficulty with my regular income.

I have a very clear plan in my mind and have had no problem clearing debt and saving money previously.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure