Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!

Options

Comments

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Bexxie wrote: »
    Lucky, get a diary with half pages, or a notebook. When this happens again, write it down and tell him as you write it. You'll prolly have to tell him to read it several times, but won't have to recount the day several times. You don't need to do it each day, just when he asks.

Also you could put the onus on him to write what he does down as he does it in his phone or this book. He should be learning management to deal with the memory problems, or should know of some already. Does he remember that he has memory problems, or is he oblivious?

Hi Bexxie,

DH is usually very aware of his memory problems, apart from the days when he doesn't even know who or where he is, never mind anything else!

He has notes on his phone but forgets to look at them. Sometimes I think he asks/says things to fill in silence. For all he can't deal with excessive noise, I don't think he copes well with pauses either - or he just has verbal diarrhoea!!!

I know SA's hubby has a whiteboard and that seems a good idea. The other problem Mr Lucky has though is even prompts won't bring things back once forgotten. For example, most people will see a photograph and remember it being taken or something about the day. DH doesn't experience that any more. Once it's gone, it's gone.

The notepad idea is a good one, thank you Xx

The
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Thank you Beanie and Mummy Xx

Feeling a bit better today in terms of mood. Still tired and sore though.

Dog cage has sold :T. £30 into the Florida pot :cool:.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,309 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Florida pot coming along very nicely :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,299 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like Bexxie has experience of dealing with brain injuries, some good ideas there. Can recommend the whiteboard - this is what the OT recommended for Mr SA and it works well for him. I've got a list from the hospital with tips for working with someone with a brain injury which is really good, if I can find a way to scan and share I will.

Glad you're feeling more upbeat and that the Florida pot is growing nicely. Won't be long until you're there :) Hope you get some relaxation time in between the theme parks etc.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Bexxie
    Bexxie Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Sounds like Bexxie has experience of dealing with brain injuries, some good ideas there. Can recommend the whiteboard - this is what the OT recommended for Mr SA and it works well for him. I've got a list from the hospital with tips for working with someone with a brain injury which is really good, if I can find a way to scan and share I will.
    Hello, yeah sorry I should've said. I've PM'd Lucky a couple times, but not on this account. I keep getting the daily digest, but when I did a password request for my email, it sent me this account, and I know I had another one that I've used. (Becca, if that helps with Lucky)
    Hi Bexxie,

DH is usually very aware of his memory problems, apart from the days when he doesn't even know who or where he is, never mind anything else!

He has notes on his phone but forgets to look at them. Sometimes I think he asks/says things to fill in silence. For all he can't deal with excessive noise, I don't think he copes well with pauses either - or he just has verbal diarrhoea!!!

I know SA's hubby has a whiteboard and that seems a good idea. The other problem Mr Lucky has though is even prompts won't bring things back once forgotten. For example, most people will see a photograph and remember it being taken or something about the day. DH doesn't experience that any more. Once it's gone, it's gone.

The notepad idea is a good one, thank you Xx

The
    I understand it'll never work as a reminder, but it's more trying to do things about easing your life. He may have that Brain Injury, but you live with the effects of it, along with your kids, and whilst it's me that has it, I have disabled mum who I find hard regarding memory problems as well. We're only human, and it does get frustrating, embarrassingly so. I feel I should be able to manage with that as well, but I don't all the times.. I've taken to writing things down, even as a reference for later. Whether I remember it's context later, maybe, maybe not, worth a try though :D

I think part of the thing about memory and brain injuries is that people say to someone to write a note, it'll help so much, but if your brain bypasses that a) you've written this note, then b) where this note was written following with c) what was I doing again? Then throw in what I call Shiny Things. *Insert distraction* Ooh, there's that (shiny thing) that I meant to do/call/talk/write/eat/etc and I can be days before I do another note.

A white board is a good idea, pretty big, fairly hard to miss, easy to direct to, and kids can get on board with it as well. Family organiser! I've managed to work with calender on my gadgets, so they go through all the devices when I add events, but unless I'm looking at said device at the right time for reminders, it's hard to remember. i wish we could have a device that was on the wall like an old calender, but connected to the others. That'd help me a lot.
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    DH is exactly the same re 'shiny things' Bex! It doesn't take much at all to throw him off course/stop him listening. Once again, thank you for your balanced view point from the 'other side'. Xx

So, yesterday :mad:.

Started with DH and DS1 play fighting. This ended with DS1 landing on top of a chair on his back and he now has a huge bruise/graze down the back of his ribs :eek:. Lots of tears and paracetamol/TLC needed, with DH feeling miserable and guilty even though it was an accident.

Next, found out via FB that a party was happening yesterday that DS2 had been invited to, but the Mum hadn't text me the details as she'd said she would. Mad dash out to get a present and a card :eek:

Collected Mum and partner from airport. She gave me £10 for doing so, will add to Florida pot :A.

DS1 was then invited trampolining with a friend. He went despite being 'at deaths door' earlier due to the chair incident. Thankfully friend's Dad picked him up and brought him back. Cost £10 but he was happy.

Got DS2 to the party :T.

Went to work even though ankle wasn't up to it. Got there to a chorus of "we didn't think you'd be in!!" and "why on earth are you here when you are still poorly?!". Couldn't miss my last shift though, could I?! Except it wasn't my last shift :mad:. Boss apparently denied he'd told me I could go Seasonal, and then back tracked when my colleagues stuck up for me by saying they were there when he said it. He then said he'd heard I might not be able to go seasonal as I don't do enough hours, and could I give him a week to 'iron it out' so he could let me know when I came in next week if I was going Seasonal or just quitting!!! I could've cried. I'd limped round for 2 hours at this point for sweet FA. I was more annoyed with myself though for not being brave enough to just telling him to stick it. Will phone the Union tomorrow and see where I stand. Sick of doing everything 'right', putting myself out and getting nothing in return. I feel walked all over :(.
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    pennywisepoundstupid Posts: 5,975 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 21 May 2017 at 9:46AM
    Options
    Sending hugs, work can be totally carp sometimes, just focus on Florida and the amazing time your going to have.x.

Hope DS is ok, mine decided to punch his TV last night because he was losing at Fifa, it's completely f***** and gone in the bin, I could of killed him but I think the biggest lesson for him will be not being able to play as I refuse to let him use the main tv. HE Better start saving if he wants a new one.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Oh penny how awful!! My DS1 broke his laptop last year by doing exactly the same thing - punching it in frustration :eek::mad:. Thankfully his was covered by a plan MiL had taken out when she bought him it, but even just being without it for a week while it was fixed was a lesson learned for DS1.

Spent the morning listing on eBay between hunting for keys DH has lost AGAIN (insert head smacking off the wall smiley!!!). Still haven't found them but they must be in the house somewhere. Have also realised car MOT and tax is due in 10 days :eek:. Feel completely unorganised and not in my comfort zone at all at the moment.
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh no PLMBL what an absolute nightmare with work and the boss who clearly doesn't know what he's doing. Im glad you are in the union, hope they can sort this out for you.

Make a list of things you need to do, this should help you feel more in control xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,299 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Boo to the boss not playing fair :( Hope you get it all sorted.

I've been the same as you recently, really disorganised, I don't like it, as you know I call it going free range :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure