PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

healthy ready made snacks, is there such a thing?

Options

Comments

• Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Blueberries usually all have a uniform taste if that helps?
    Living the simple life
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 May 2017 at 6:43PM
    Options
    Tink_04 wrote: »
    Blueberries usually all have a uniform taste if that helps?

Not be me they don't :( Its probably me I am ultra sensitive to it. I like fresh blueberries picked in season straight from the bushes but the ones you can buy in packs at the moment do sometimes taste funny.

Also I am a bit paranoid about buying fruit as it isn't cheap and a lot to waste when you get a bad pack/bunch (which to me seems to be more often than not) as there is just me, there is nobody else to eat it up that might not be so fussy.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think you're going to have to accept that 'healthy' and balanced usually includes fruit and veg.... and that means prepare it yourself or pay someone else to do it.

Off the shelf products may be quick but most will not be *that* 'healthy'.

Cut up celery, pepper, carrot batons and keep them in a Lock and Lock box. Make up some hummus, salsa or soured cream dip and you have yourself a quick reach-and-munch snack.

Before bed, prepare some overnight oats - google has loads of recipes - and then you can grab the pot when you get home.

Have a Lock and Lock box of mixed nuts, seeds and dried fruit and just grab a handful to munch on. You can even add some dark chocolate chips to the mix.

Flapjacks are super easy to make and quick too - they can then be used as a snack.

Have ready chopped salad bits in the fridge and then stuff a pitta and add some chilli sauce.

Or just have peanut butter spread onto oatcakes.

You can get the boys on the case with the veggie prepping, dip and flapjack making.
    :hello:
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know what you mean about the inconsistency of fruit - but have you tried frozen fruit? Doesn't have the chance to go squidgy/mouldy/dried out.
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I keep bags of roasted nuts (cashew, pine nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts) in the freezer. They don't really freeze, you can eat them straight from the freezer and they're very satisfying.

You can also make your own (healthy) crisps in the microwave - thinly slice a spud; brush the slices with olive oil and arrange in a single layer on a sheet of kitchen roll on a plate. Sprinkle salt or seasoning on top and cook each side on high for a couple of minutes. The olive oil is optional but nice.

Banana bread freezes well in slices. Warm quickly and spread with butter.

Baba ganoush or hummus will keep in a cold fridge for several days, so I'm told - they never lasts that long in my house. Great for dipping or with salad.

Peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies made with chickpeas are gorgeous - here's the recipe I use.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    I totally get the I don't like fruit comment

You possibly don't like it because it's not ripe.

Strawberries aren't in season until Wimbledon starts :)

You need to see what is grown here, and what's in season. Everything else is picked before its ripe, and cold stored No flavour to any of it, melon , strawberries, tomatoes, all taste of cold cotton wool

The other thing is, you are getting too used to coming in starved, grabbing something quick, and heading out again. That's really bad news. I used to work in a kitchen, get home at 11 feeling like I'd faint with hunger, be too tired and out would come the cheese - I gained a stone :(

You are probably sick of reading this, but you need to meal plan. And that means planning for meals that will see you through busy times so you aren't reaching for the high fat, high sugar snacks

Black coffee and a crisp bread really isn't going to get you through a day when you are on the go for 14hrs, you need something substantial so you need to plan your meals into your days

I can't face a breakfast for example. I start work at 7 and am feeling sick with hunger come 10. Everyone else is on tea and cake or biscuits, I'm with the ham and egg on wholemeal. That keeps me feeling full enough to not snack till I get home around 2 when a slice of toast and sardines gets me through to dinner at 7. If I'm not working then around 11am, I'll take something like kippers and a poached egg or beans on toast to keep me going till dinner at 7

I rarely snack now. DH will have ice cream or nuts later in the evening but I find as long as I've had enough protein in me and very little carbs, I don't need to pick
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My husband says exactly the same as you about fruit. I love fruit but sometimes an apple or a banana is not enough.

Would you be better off actually making a sandwich? Or a hunk of fresh bread with a little peanut butter, low fat soft cheese or savoury spread? Neither of these would take that long to prepare.

A bowl of cereal is a good snack if you avoid the sugary ones, no reason why weetabix or even porridge oats have to be just for breakfast.

I am not a huge fan of nuts but have found that I dont mind cashew nuts mixed with a few pumpkin seeds. I like dried apricots and raisins too. Carrot sticks and celery sticks are strangely filling I find, much more than crisps!

You could buy some little pots and do the next days snacks in advance which wouldnt take long.

Livelongandprosper makes a really good point though. It is bad for you to rely on snacks as an essential part of your daily diet and maybe that's worth thinking about.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Maybe you'd find more taste in organic fruit than "conventional" chemically-grown/possibly put in cold store en route/etc type fruit?
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Soup? Make a batch and just warm some through when you get home.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Soup? Make a batch and just warm some through when you get home.

Even nuking a can of soup will be 'healthier' than munching on crisps and biscuits.
    :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport