Employers shares vesting while on maternity leave

Options
I'm on maternity leave April 17- April 18 earning just over £11k in maternity pay in the year. On a normal 1150L tax code. I have £8k of company shares that have just vested (wooh!) and I need to decide whether to take them now or in 6 months time.

I'd rather take them now but just trying to figure on what if any tax implications this would have. As I see it, I should be charged full basic rate on anything over £11,500 anyway so doesn't matter when I take them.

Would appreciate any sage advice from MoneySaving experts, as I'm struggling to get my head around it.

Comments

• madgagoo
    madgagoo Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    From a tax perspective the £8,000 will just be added to your income and taxed at basic rate, if your total income is less than £43,000 for the year. So, as long as your total income (including the shares) is less than £43k, it doesn't matter when you take them - it will be at basic rate.

Remember to factor in National Insurance as well. Also, think about the value of the shares - are they likely to go up or down in value?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,915 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but wouldn't this be taxed as a Capital Gain rather than income ?

You have a CGT allowance of £11,300 in addition to your income tax allowane of £11,500
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are selling the shares then you will be liable to capital gains tax as said above not income tax,

Yu have a separate Capital Gains allowance.
  • Previn
    Previn Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it a sharesave or SAYE scheme?
    If so & you want to sell them there is a potential capital gains risk depending on how much of this years £11300 you have left.
    Alternatively you could wait till next year for a new allowance or could put them directly into an ISA where they could grow & collect dividends with no capital gains ever applied when you do sell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure