Disagreements with manager and meeting with HR

Options
I have had a couple of disagreements with my manager. I didn't think the disagreements were that serious in nature but she has taken it further and earlier this month I was invited for an informal meeting with HR to discuss concerns they have regarding my conduct. I thought it went very well. Two weeks later, I have received another letter from HR which doesn't seem very nice in tone and starting with how we had discussed oncerns about my conduct when interacting with colleagues. It goes on to say that I should ensure that interactions with colleagues be respectful and appropriate or my prabation period (for a new role at the company) could be extended, or possibly, depending on the circumstances, my contract be brought to an end.
I haven't been desrespectful but I get drawn into an argument with this manager as I feel she cannot rationally discuss issues. I'm now worried of even talking to her. During our meeting I said that I understand that a manager has to be listened to and that a company requires a kind of hierarchichal structure. the HR person disagreed saying that things should be done by agreement. That's why I'm pretty confused about the tone of the memo she has sent me now in order to confrim the outcomes of the meeting. This was also carbon copied to the manger in question even though it was only me and the HR person present.
I would like to know what they are up to? Is this just following steps leading to warnings and then dismissal? I'm sure the manager wants rid of me. Can't she just say that my interactions continue to be disrespectful etc then leading to further disciplinary steps? What should I do? I feel quite vulnerable at the moment.

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Ader1 wrote: »
    I have had a couple of disagreements with my manager. I didn't think the disagreements were that serious in nature but she has taken it further and earlier this month I was invited for an informal meeting with HR to discuss concerns they have regarding my conduct. I thought it went very well. Two weeks later, I have received another letter from HR which doesn't seem very nice in tone and starting with how we had discussed oncerns about my conduct when interacting with colleagues. It goes on to say that I should ensure that interactions with colleagues be respectful and appropriate or my prabation period (for a new role at the company) could be extended, or possibly, depending on the circumstances, my contract be brought to an end.
    I haven't been desrespectful but I get drawn into an argument with this manager as I feel she cannot rationally discuss issues. I'm now worried of even talking to her. During our meeting I said that I understand that a manager has to be listened to and that a company requires a kind of hierarchichal structure. the HR person disagreed saying that things should be done by agreement. That's why I'm pretty confused about the tone of the memo she has sent me now in order to confrim the outcomes of the meeting. This was also carbon copied to the manger in question even though it was only me and the HR person present.
    I would like to know what they are up to? Is this just following steps leading to warnings and then dismissal? I'm sure the manager wants rid of me. Can't she just say that my interactions continue to be disrespectful etc then leading to further disciplinary steps? What should I do? I feel quite vulnerable at the moment.

It's pretty hard to comment since we don't know what it is that they say you have done - you agree that you have had disagreements with your manager, but what does that mean?

But yes, You have had an informal discussion about your conduct towards your manager and, it would appear, your colleagues. If that concern continues then you will inevitably proceed to one of two things - either a disciplinary, or the termination of your probation (which means, effectively, terminating the job).

How long have you worked for this company?
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your line manager may feel you've undermined the relationship and their preferred outcome is to have you managed out the door.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You might want to ask them to clarify the points raised in the letter as you feel this has gone against what was discussed in the meeting but ultimately you might want to start looking for another job.

I'm assuming the manager asked you to do something and you disagreed with her methods. Most managers aren't going to appreciate a new employee undermining them, regardless of who's right.
  • Ader1
    Ader1 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    It's pretty hard to comment since we don't know what it is that they say you have done - you agree that you have had disagreements with your manager, but what does that mean?

But yes, You have had an informal discussion about your conduct towards your manager and, it would appear, your colleagues. If that concern continues then you will inevitably proceed to one of two things - either a disciplinary, or the termination of your probation (which means, effectively, terminating the job).

How long have you worked for this company?

I've been at the company for 1.5 years. I started a new role within the company two months ago.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I've been at the company for 1.5 years. I started a new role within the company two months ago.
    In that case you can be dismissed for almost any reason and there is nothing you can do about it. Get looking for another job. This one probably isn't going to last much longer.
  • Ader1
    Ader1 Posts: 420 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2016 at 5:00PM
    Options
    I did apply for another job today. I will be looking from now on. If a new employer wants a reference from this employer then it's unlikely I'll be given a glowing endorsement. I'm between a rock and a hard place. Having said that.....I've had no complaints regarding my work. I am trying to avoid this manager and do whatever she asks of me but I don't think she's very forgiving.

Are they following some kind of protocol?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having said that.....I've had no complaints regarding my work.

I think you should consider maintaining good working relations with colleagues and managers an essential part of your work.
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    I think you should consider maintaining good working relations with colleagues and managers an essential part of your work.

This, otherwise known as 'keep your gob shut and crack on'
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Bottom line is that whether you like the way your manager operates or not, they give the orders and you carry them out. There are ways of challenging things and your way clearly isn't working.
    I butted heads with managers plenty of times in my working life, and honestly don't regret doing so. I'm one of those pig headed idiots who will stick to their guns if they are sure they are right. It hasn't always done me any favours, but I can live with that.
    It doesn't alter what I said at the top!
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This, otherwise known as 'keep your gob shut and crack on'

I prefer to consider it getting on with people you might not like but with whom you share your working life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure