PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Annual Christmas card list

Options
2»

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I also follow the "If no card for 2 years - then assume they've stopped sending to me (for whatever reason)" and drop it rule.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 December 2017 at 12:22PM
    Options
    I've received our first Christmas card today.

ETA, I'm already vaccuuming up glitter.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »

If your only contact with someone is an annual exchange of cards, then what's the point?

For me, it is a way of saying "thank you" as many on my list are people who were kind to me at various bad times in my life, but I now start my card writing by checking the obituaries in the local paper's website, just in case.

I haven't bought cards this year but it seems I have enough for several years, so maybe when they run out I will stop :o
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am sending no cards this year and have told my friends I intend to donate to the Sally Army as the cash will help feed someone who is in need of a hot meal and it will do more good than a piece of card that will end up in the bin
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I am sending no cards this year and have told my friends I intend to donate to the Sally Army as the cash will help feed someone who is in need of a hot meal and it will do more good than a piece of card that will end up in the bin

I think that's a great idea.
    As long as you tell people that is what you're doing in plenty of time so they can also choose to send you a card or donate to a charity of their choice.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    I've just sat down and pruned my Christmas card list - the sad task of crossing off people who have died during the year, but also I've taken the decision to drop people who I haven't seen or heard from for years. Basically, if I could pass them on the street without recognising, they're off. But I've also added some new friends and neighbours to the list.

Having said that, I keep a few cards ready to reciprocate if I get a card from someone I wasn't expecting...
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having said that, I keep a few cards ready to reciprocate if I get a card from someone I wasn't expecting...
    I've kept my design for this year on the computer, so I can easily print out extras if needed. ;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Family and a couple of close friends get a hand-made (cross stitch) card.

I live in sheltered housing, I buy a small box of cheap but nice cards to send to some of the residents here. (Some of the residents here have no relatives, and have no friends left, so don't get cards sent from other people...and there is one lovely person here with learning difficulties who just LOVES getting a card!)

Other than this, no one gets a card.

I used to send far to many cards...to people at work and to people at church...some of the work cards were to people I barely spoke to all year, they were in different departments and on a different floor....in the end I just placed one card on the general notice board, and let it be known that I was donating to charity instead...as it happened the church made a similar policy the same year, we all paid into a charity pots and didn't send each other cards.

This year, my chosen charity is the local foodbank.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I told all of my friends and family in October and told them I would rather donate than send cards as this year times are hard enough for most people let alone the homeless and dispossessed, so the Sally Army who do so much to help will get my cash .My DGD often donates surplus stuff she is given at school as there is no way she can eat her way through umpteen boxes of biscuits and chocolates She tells the children not to buy ,but their mums still do it. But our local sally army hostel are always please dto receive surplus stuff, not every one has family or friends at this time of the year its felt the most I think
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't really understand expectations of reciprocity :huh:

I send Christmas cards to people that I wish a merry christmas and who I don't expect to see over the 'festive period' (I wish those I see happy christmas in person so no need for a card)

If I am wished a happy christmas in return, that's nice, but my wishes for them are not based on any expectations on their part. Same with gifts.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business