Being a youtuber

Options
13»

Comments

• footballgirl07
    Options
    I agree with Credit-Crunched, YouTube is sinking thanks to recent controversies involving a big name YouTuber. Advertisers do not want to be involved anymore.

Have you thought about Twitch? It isn't just a videogame streaming site anymore. They have an IRL section, so within the rules, you can create any content. You will have to grind to get viewers and make yourself stand out but if it is something you really want, worth a go.
    2015 goal from online stuff: £900
    Currently at: £633.05/£900
    2014 goal: £1256.85/£800 Goal reached 29/9!
    2013 goal: £973.30/£500 Goal reached 31/7!
  • Startup1985
    Options
    I make videos following my journey in my hobby of metal detecting and treasure hunting. I just basically film myself out metal detecting with a few other adventure trips mixed in. I stopped posting around 7 months ago due to buying my first home and my hobby having to take a back seat.
    Prior to that I had been making videos for around 12 months and had amassed around 4000 subscribers. This was bringing in around 40-70k views per month which was equating to £60-90 per month in Adsense revenue.
    I wish I had the time to carry it on as my subscriber count was snowballing and I was was gaining around 15 subs per day with a growing view count as well.
    Along with the ad revenue I was picking up sponsorship deals and always testing new metal detectors which I was allowed to keep at values of around £500-700 each!
    Then just after we moved in I got an email from an American production company offering me a place on a show they were making about hunting for treasure in old buildings here in the uk after viewing my YouTube channel. Due to time constraints and work commitments I had to decline the offer but it does show what potential there is in YouTube ��
  • joeypesci
    Options
    Beartricks wrote: »
    Do you have a good camera though, or do you have a decent camera? Like I said, the big youtubers are dictating what makes the smaller ones successful. If the bigger youtubers are using 4K cameras as their standard, then that's what people will be expecting across the board. A two year old SLR wont cut it. You really need to keep your finger on the pulse.

I used to work in the media, and most of that was media training. It's not easy to be on camera and you'd need to look at stuff like lighting, set dressing, costume etc as well as things like how to hold and carry yourself on camera, and how to address audiences.

Not exactly true. When starting out people forgive not great quality. After all, most of the YouTubers started out that way. One such person I watch is LGR. He started out doing it for the love, not to make money. Eventually he got money together to get better kit, granted. Now he earns a living off it. But the ads on YouTube, what with the mass exodus of companies, its harder now to get the views or money. If people skip an ad, you get no revenue. If people use adblock, you get no revenue.

To the OP. I've been on YouTube for a few years now. Only just started to record my voice but had videos up for other things, I've yet to make anything. But don't use me as an example as I'm lazy. I do it as a side. If someone finds a video useful then its good but I know I won't be able to quit my job for it.

But keep trying. Just do YouTube for the love of it. Eventually more people will sub and watch. Eventually you'll probably get people who want to donate so will ask you to setup a Patreon account. That's where more people are making their money now. From people donating to their Patreon accounts.
  • joeypesci
    Options
    Oh and I'll also point out the stupidly bugged AI bot that goes around YouTube now. Its designed to demonitise videos that it thinks aren't "ad suitable". Google doing things on the cheap means it's not a person but a bot. I have a few private videos that are monitised because it's the default I upload as. One was of a lake. The other is in our old office with watch a spool of backup tape unravel. Apparently it's not appropriate for advertising :) (I've appealed it just for the sake of it).

Ironic thing is YouTube has become big because of the content creators and Google are killing it by screwing over the people who've made it big.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure