In App Purchases

Options
My 11 year old daughter has incurred fees of £400+ for in app purchases, yet she says she only clicked on purchase once, but there are over 30 separate purchases showing and the game did not ask for confirmation of purchase or ask for her iTunes account, as it was not through them.

Do we have any rights or any ability to seek the return of the money? I'm amazed that she could incur such a level of cost without getting a warning or an extra notification and the purchase appears to be one press of a button, without any need for confirmation of that purchase and am appalled.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Id be looking at a way to prevent this in the future eg a password for itunes.
  • Michael24
    Options
    It wasn't through iTunes unfortunately, my main issue is that she chose "select" once and yet there are a significant number do purchases and no double confirmation of the purchase, so that she could realise a mistake and not continue. We have also been charged £150 for recent purchases on a game that was deleted 2 months ago, so would be impossible to buy anything.
  • Lumstorm
    Lumstorm Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A lot of these games that have in game purchases are a complete con to catch the gullible, and this type of story keeps happening the thing is it easy to stop if parents didn't give kids free access to a credit card.
  • Michael24
    Options
    The game needed a card to purchase one item, but never asked for the CVV number and then there were no other purchases made, so we are at a loss as to how multiple purchases have been registered. She also has had £150 of recent charges for a game deleted 3 months ago.

We are very careful with what we allow and don't, this is not a case of unlimited freedoms, it is a con and we need to understand if we can get restitution and prevent recurrence.
  • Kuznec
    Kuznec Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Children lie, remember what fairy tales you came up with when you were 11 years old.
  • Michael24
    Options
    Fairy tales yes, blatant lies no.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tell me what this app is and I will see if what you say is correct because any in app purchases require your apple id and password.

Does this mean a child of 11 has access to an apple id and password which is then linked to a debit/credit card?
  • Michael24
    Options
    It I see called Star Stable and didn't require an iTunes password.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Star stable horses?

It doesn't seem to have in app but instead you raise and transfer horse to their online game which is for pc or mac. Did you sign up online through web browser
  • joeypesci
    Options
    If you can, contact the developers. It could be a bug but it could also be a scam. Can you not contact your credit card provider and ask them to cancel the payments as you didn't authorised them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure