Left handed guitar Help!

Options
2»

Comments

• janeywoo1978
    Options
    I would just turn the guitar upside down and re-string it top to bottom. You can even buy another scotch plate and put their on the other side. It will play exactly the same. Its how McCartney started out so if it was good enough for him!
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would just turn the guitar upside down and re-string it top to bottom. You can even buy another scotch plate and put their on the other side. It will play exactly the same. Its how McCartney started out so if it was good enough for him!

Scratch plate!
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Having played classical and electric guitar for thirty five years, I can tell you that simply restringing in reverse will NOT allow the guitar to play the same.
    The nut (the "bridge" at the end of the neck/fingerboard) will have been cut in such a way to allow for the different diameter strings.
    The bridge may or may not be the same, but wuill probably be angled in such a way, that if you did restring it you would get intonation problems.
    The only guitarist I know who managed to play a RH guitar LH was the late, great Jimi Hendrix - but then he was a bit unique to put it mildly.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lindo has few left handed models, pretty nice brand, just got one from them (right handed though) myself - they got great reviews on Amazon - I bough mine via Amazon, have a look here:

https://lindoguitars.com/acoustic-guitars/left-handed.html

Also, typing left handed guitar into Amazon comes up with quite a few

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_18?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=left%20handed%20guitar&sprefix=left+handed+guitar%2Caps%2C349
  • makemdano
    Options
    Kaybenson wrote: »
    Hello Fellow savers,

I have kids who started learning guitar recently.

The recommended guitar for them was this http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/_SET_-FENDER-Squier-SA-105-NT-Bag-Tuner-Strings-Pics/art-GIT461

One of them is left-handed and its double the money.

Can someone recommend a cheap version for me for a 8 year old boy?

Cheers

Kay

I play left handed (though I am right handed)

I avoid the extra cost usually by buying a right handed guitar and converting it to left.
    As long as the guitar is symetrical (i.e. it doesn't have a cutaway) this just means changing the nut (the plastic or bone bit at the "head" end of the fretboard) and the bridge saddle (the plastic or bone bit at the other end of the strings). If you take the strings off the saddle will just drop out. The nut usually requires a tap with a hammer.

Sorry if I'm being to simplistic here but I'm not sure how much you know about guitars.

For a beginner the above should be fine and provide a perfectly playable guitar but....................
    as the player advances and starts fretting higher up the fretboard there is one problem remaining, that of intonation. This is where the note that the string sounds when played open and then played at the 12th fret needs to be exactly 1 octave higher than when played open. On most except beginners guitars this is acheived by having the bridge saddle angled to provide the correct note. (on electric guitars it is achieved by having adjustable saddles but I won't go into that)

Now then, even if later you buy a more expensive guitar that has a saddle to provide the correct intonation you can STILL buy a right handed guitar but you will need to find a luthier who can re-router the bridge for a saddle at an opposite angle and fill in the gaps that will inevitably be caused by this process. My local luthier does the full conversion, nut, saddle and bridge conversion for £60 and you can't tell it's not a lefty. Sorry if this overcomplicates things.

The problem with lefties whne you advance is that many manufacturers just don't manufacture left handed guitars and when they do they don't offer the same range of models.

Hope this helps but come back to me if you need more, PM me if you like

Finally "words of wisdom" from one of my local guitar shops...
    "most left handed musicians just play right handed"

Cheers

Ian
  • koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    Options

and Jimi Hendrix :cool:
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • burnham1
    burnham1 Posts: 858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    when I learnt to play the guitar as a child, my guitar was just turned upside down and restrung, I never had any problems learning with it like that, and my guitar teacher had no problems either.....
    ADOPT DONT SHOP......🐕🐕🐕🐕
  • ASIMAndy
    ASIMAndy Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I can firstly highly recommend Andertons music in Guildford, they have the best online store at the best prices. Also. You should do as Jimi Hendrix did and buy a right handed guitar and play it upside down. one of the joys of playing guitar is that everyone has one and you can therefore pick one up and play it at most parties etc. Sadly you don't have this option if you're left handed. Right handed guitars played left handed look bad-!!! and you can play it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure