Living alone, spending money question.

Options
Nubnub
Nubnub Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 18 October 2016 at 1:15PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi i'm new here and this coming November i'll be moving out on my own for the first time ever, now im only slightly panicking about how much i'll have left to spend each month.

So after EVERY outgoing i can think of (such as Mortgage, Food, bills, fuel for car, dog, credit card, home insurance, etc) i'll have about £180-£210 left a month depending on what deals i can get for home insurance, now is this enough to treat myself with? like treat myself to new computer games, take out food, cinema, new clothes etc

any advice will be appreciated :)

*Edit*
just so people know, im not a go out and party kind of person, i prefer my days staying in, or if i do go out its usually for a walk with the dog, im just looking for an idea of if some people find that amount too little or too much or plenty.

Comments

• Stevie_Palimo
    Options
    The question here you ask as to £180 to £200 being enough to have as income left after all expenses are covered is like asking how long is a piece of string.

For some 180 left will a lot of money and for others will be a night or weekend out, Budget for £50 a week and if you don't spend it then put it away in a pot or account as you will have emergencies cropping up and also other things like birthdays and so on, Plus money on clothes can soon add up, I took my OH shopping for new clothes last week and didn't see much change from around £300.00.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's not enough, then do as so many have done before and are doing right now, get a second part time job

When I left home I had barely £50 a month left to feed, clothe and entertain myself. I soon found part time work for the evenings and weekends
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Nubnub and welcome to the forum. I think it might be a bit premature to be thinking about what money you will have left over to spend on treats, before you have worked out all your outgoings. The reality is never the same as the predictions you make.

You mention petrol for car. Have you included in that figure the cost of tax and insurance, and depreciation, and saving up to change the car in a couple of years time perhaps.

I suggest you start a spending diary now, write down every penny you spend, down to the last bar of chocolate. Then read it weekly to see how all the little spends mount up to whopping big ones.

When I moved into my first house I had no spare money for years, every penny I had went into the house. You might find that you have to make a lot of lifestyle choices, there comes a time when you can't have everything you want.

You list credit card on your outgoings. I am curious, do you owe any money on that? Or do you clear it every month? If you clear it, how do you know how much it is going to cost you per month?

Sorry to put a dampener on it, I can see that you are excited, but take things one step at a time, wait until you know exactly how much all your house related costs are. Give it three or four months, before then assume you won't have anything to spare.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Nubnub
    Options
    Ilona wrote: »
    Hello Nubnub and welcome to the forum. I think it might be a bit premature to be thinking about what money you will have left over to spend on treats, before you have worked out all your outgoings. The reality is never the same as the predictions you make.

You mention petrol for car. Have you included in that figure the cost of tax and insurance, and depreciation, and saving up to change the car in a couple of years time perhaps.

I suggest you start a spending diary now, write down every penny you spend, down to the last bar of chocolate. Then read it weekly to see how all the little spends mount up to whopping big ones.

When I moved into my first house I had no spare money for years, every penny I had went into the house. You might find that you have to make a lot of lifestyle choices, there comes a time when you can't have everything you want.

You list credit card on your outgoings. I am curious, do you owe any money on that? Or do you clear it every month? If you clear it, how do you know how much it is going to cost you per month?

Sorry to put a dampener on it, I can see that you are excited, but take things one step at a time, wait until you know exactly how much all your house related costs are. Give it three or four months, before then assume you won't have anything to spare.

Ilona

currently my credit card isn't cleared, but will be cleared by the time of the move, and im my rough budget plan i have allotted £50 a month to be put on there if needed, my car i've set as 50-70 a month and for calculations i've used the 70, and have worked out miles for commuting, so with todays fuel prices its £61 a month just for commuting to work,

out of the £180-£210 a month for spending on myself i forgot to mention that i'd be using some/all of the to put into savings for emergencies.

also i should mention if i do find it tight living alone i have the option to get in a lodger as i've got a 2 bed house.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    I'd say yes if your not extravagant. I have less than this as spending money (£120 pm), but I really don't spend very much on day to day things - don't buy new clothes, only second hand but more often than not am happy with what I have. This month with my spending budget I have been to a spa (to use the facilities for an hour), going out with friends for dinner, meeting with a friend for drinks on Friday and met up with my sil for a glass of wine and to catch up, coffee with another friend and the rest has just been frittered on small incidental spends over the month (about £40).

But if I was buying clothes, spending more indiscriminately then it wouldn't be enough!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nubnub wrote: »
    So after EVERY outgoing I can think of (such as Mortgage, Food, bills, fuel for car, dog, credit card, home insurance, etc)

Have you included servicing, MOT etc. ?

How about an Emergency Fund?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,636 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would say yes if you are not overly extravagant. Knock the computer games on the head until you see where you are financially. My advice would be to save half of this in an emergency fund and see if you can manage with say £25 per week spending money. I easily make do with that just for haircuts, the odd bit of clothing or day out.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Personally I survive on less than this a month once all my essentials are paid, I usually have about £150 a month to myself, I try and budget £30 a week however if I go over one week then I know I have less for the next week etc I'm pregnant at the moment though so I'm not going out drinking or buying new clothes at the moment. However I do go for days out with my husband or for dinner with my friends.

Personally I would try it out, if you find that you cant get by with that amount of money each month you may need to look at getting a second job or some part time work. :)
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • Sanctioned_Parts_List
    Options
    Video games are a surprisingly expensive hobby if you always go for the latest - as well as £50+ for a new release game, you'd need to be saving now to make the next XBox, PS or whatever not make your wallet bleed when it comes out. Worse if you play on PC.

When I started out, I gave up even trying to buy new release games and instead trawled the SoldOut section, bargain bins, markets and computer exchange for something to keep me occupied. I spent less money, but there were occasional side effects.

Anyway, from my own experience, moving anywhere, alone or not, is always a lot more expensive than it looks, even if you're moving with friends or family, so try to live carefully for 6 months and see what your real spending looks like before trying to make any plans*.

* A young SPL failed to check the meters on his first independent house, so had no come-back when the estate agent dumped the 6 months the house was empty with the heating on full onto him, thus wiping out his meagre "surplus" for several months running.
  • Pablosammy
    Pablosammy Posts: 566 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 4:27PM
    Options
    Hard to tell. Definitely start a spending diary, as you may spend more (or less!) than you realise on various things. If you genuinely do have £200 or so a month left over, I'd try and put some of it aside - at least £100.

The other thing many people do is fill in an SOA (Statement Of Affairs) and post it up on here - we're all in it together, all anonymous, and people might even be able to suggest areas you can free up more money.

Good luck, and don't get carried away - left over money can disappear VERY quickly!

p.s. unless you're at school and need the latest computer games to stay current, stick to older games that have become 'classics', or even second hand games. There are some fantastic games out there that are just as good as the day they were released, but are a third of the price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure