Pension contributions at 60% marginal rate of tax

Options
I'm 41 and with my current pension pot and future contributions I am on a trajectory to have a fund value around the LTA at age 57 when I can currently take my pension.

For tax year 17/18 and future I am likely to have a small amount in the 60% rate and can't decide whether I should take net of tax and invest in an ISA, or put into my pension with a high risk that it would be taxed at 55% when I crystallise my pension.

I'm leaning towards the latter, to make hay whilst the sun shines, and from a numbers perspective it has the highest expected outcome :

1. £5k into pension. Using rule of 72 assume doubles twice over 20 years. Therefore £20k less 55% tax = £9k net in 20 years.

2. Take £2k net. Doubles twice over 20 years. £8k in tax free ISA in 20 years.

Given that future contributions or return or returns aren't guaranteed I think number 1 but for the sake of £1k extra the flexibility of option 2 is also there so not an easy decision.

I've exploited other options to reduce income below £100k and short of giving to charity or trying to get unpaid leave (unlikely) can't see any other options.

What would you do?

Comments

• TomSurrey
    TomSurrey Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I'm finding this scenario hard to model through too, truth is this is probably one of the scenarios where you need a financial and tax planner to work it through for you. Most models say that pensions saving is almost always the better vehicle for saving in BUT they don't account for your scenario of paying marginally higher tax in retirement.

If you're going to have a very large pension pot and close to the life time allowance I'd probably just start putting money into ISA saving, it reduces your political risk to pensions or income being taxed harder. It would also allow you to retire earlier and use your ISA savings prior to 57 to move part time or retire all together.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    As there is no actual 60% tax rate I presume you are referring to the reduction of personal allowance over £100k.

You don't need to reduce your actual income to less than £100k for this so pension contributions are usually the most favoured route (unless you are very generous charity wise) as although your income remains above £100k you still get your personal allowance and the higher rate tax relief on the pension.

Providing you meet all the other rules etc (see recent pension thread from amc1 for a sorry tale!!)
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When presented with a similar choice I just put half of the amount into both alternatives.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What would you do?
    You have clearly understood the dilemma that these heinous tax rates represent. Personally, I would hold my nose and make the pension payments, and so avoid the effective 60% tax rate.

Here is my thinking (though of course you're free to reject it!):
    • The likely 55% LTA excess rate is less than 60%. And you could well get away with less than 55% LTA rate. The calculation is actually 25% LTA charge and then marginal tax rate on the remaining 75%. So if you can wriggle into basic rate tax on withdrawals that comes out to 40% combined and not 55%. (The flip side, and worst case, would be if you are in the 60% band on withdrawals over the LTA. Here you pay 25% + .6 * 75% = 70% tax, ouch!, so one to definitely avoid there, then.)
    • The LTA might eventually be scrapped. Perhaps not likely, at least in the shorter term, since scrapping it would be much too sensible a move for this government. But it's a faint possibility. 55% LTA tax in future is only probable, whereas the 60% effective tax on income above £100k now is definite.
    • If the LTA isn't scrapped, you might to avoid LTA problems in future anyway by simply retiring early. You say that you project you will hit it at age 57. In which case, stop work at 56 or 55, live off other savings for a while and let investment growth momentum take your pension up to the LTA and then crystallise it. This is what I have done (compounded in my case by taking out FP2016).
    • A pension is a useful inheritance tax shelter. This may or may not be of use to you.

All this assumes that you don't greatly value instant access on an ISA. After all, it is quite a long time to wait from age 41 until 55, 56, 57. And as already mentioned, the government definitely has it in for folk who save decent amounts into pensions (no matter how much general hot air they come up with around "encouraging pension saving"), meaning than an even more muddled pensions regime than what we have now could be on the cards for the future. Political risk indeed.

Also, as suggested above, this isn't necessarily an all-or-nothing proposition. You could split the difference. Sometimes this is a good way forwards if both of two options seem equally appealing (or equally unappealing, as is so often the case where tax is involved).

Finally, if earning over £100k/year looks like a regular possibility, consider reducing work to a four-day week. Once you add in employer's NI your general salary deductions at the margin are going to border 75% to the government and 25% to you. Basic self-respect suggests that you should reject that proposition!
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    at age 57 when I can currently take my pension.

That's not the current law, though, is it? Of course it might be by April, but currently (I understand) the age for drawing a pension remains 55.

Personally I'd "bank" the 60% while it's still available.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • ex-pat_scot
    ex-pat_scot Posts: 693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In the same situation.
    Frankly in 17 years the LTA rules will be unrecognisable from today, one way or another.
    Do it under sal sac and it's 62% (or more if your employer will credit you with some of the saved ers NIC).

I'm maxing the pension contributions to bring my effective gross to a smidgeon under £100,000.

If you breach the LTA early, then there's nothing (under the present system) to stop you from stopping at 55 rather than 57, and hence avoiding a 55% charge.
  • JamTomorrow
    JamTomorrow Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    EdSwippet wrote: »
    You have clearly understood the dilemma that these heinous tax rates represent. Personally, I would hold my nose and make the pension payments, and so avoid the effective 60% tax rate.

Thanks for all the helpful input. I've decided that I'll use sal sec to make additional pension payments and bring me just under £100k of taxable earnings.
    Here is my thinking (though of course you're free to reject it!):
    • The likely 55% LTA excess rate is less than 60%. And you could well get away with less than 55% LTA rate. The calculation is actually 25% LTA charge and then marginal tax rate on the remaining 75%. So if you can wriggle into basic rate tax on withdrawals that comes out to 40% combined and not 55%. (The flip side, and worst case, would be if you are in the 60% band on withdrawals over the LTA. Here you pay 25% + .6 * 75% = 70% tax, ouch!, so one to definitely avoid there, then.)

Under current rules I will try and plan to withdraw up to the start of the 40% tax rate but I suspect I will need to withdraw some funds in the 40% rate so that the value of the fund I have crystallised isn't taxed again at age 75.
    [*]The LTA might eventually be scrapped. Perhaps not likely, at least in the shorter term, since scrapping it would be much too sensible a move for this government. But it's a faint possibility. 55% LTA tax in future is only probable, whereas the 60% effective tax on income above £100k now is definite.

I find this a strong argument to make the payment into pension now and have a chance of a 55% tax rate versus a certainty of 60% tax rate today.
    Finally, if earning over £100k/year looks like a regular possibility, consider reducing work to a four-day week. Once you add in employer's NI your general salary deductions at the margin are going to border 75% to the government and 25% to you. Basic self-respect suggests that you should reject that proposition!

This isn't a realistic option at the moment as I'm in a new role which is a struggle to get through in a 5 day week. It is however something I will actively consider in my early 50's when work should become optional. At this time there is a chance that I will be funding 2 kids at University so rather than retire early and use our ISA savings I may look to work a 3 or 4 day week for a few years.
  • JamTomorrow
    JamTomorrow Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    That's not the current law, though, is it? Of course it might be by April, but currently (I understand) the age for drawing a pension remains 55.

Personally I'd "bank" the 60% while it's still available.

I'm working on the assumption that it will be 10 years less than state retirement age. Is this the best assumption to take for planning purposes based on information available?
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is wrong with paying 60%? I earn just over the personal allowance and face a maginal effective rate of 73% and I suspect at our relative income levels each extra pound makes a much bigger difference to my lifestyle than yours.

I use salary sacrifice of course to mitigate as much of the burden as possible because with employer ni contribution of 9.6% passed back to me by my employer each £1 of pension contribution costs me only 17p of take home pay.
    I think....
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in a similar position except that I stopped contributions before 6 April 2016 in order to have the extra £250k of LTA (and PCLS if needed). My income promptly shot above £100k - nice problem to have, right enough, but a bit of a system shock when a couple of years earlier I hadn't even been paying higher rate tax and suddenly I'm looking at 62% at the margin.

For me there's a significant extra cost of putting just £1 into that pension... I could take the chance of the rules changing, but...

Still waiting for confirmation about the 55-moving-to-57 thing. My date of birth indicates that I will be caught if they transition it in to always be ten years below the State pension age, but not caught if they bring it in overnight when the State pension age reaches 67. The condoc wasn't entirely clear, and it was only a condoc and we have a different pensions minister and chancellor now. However, my IFA said assume 57 and anything else is a bonus. At 41 you will definitely be caught unless they drop the idea altogether.

My personal ideal would be a new Taxed-Exempt-Exempt system (with "old-style" pensions being closed to new contributions - lol and they can abolish the LTA if they like, too). It would be like an extra ISA allowance only with an uplift that I wouldn't otherwise get, at the cost of delayed access. It also has the advantage that it would suit younger/lower-income people better, although I'd be lying if I said that was my primary reason for liking it. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure