MSE News: Waitrose scraps its free hot drink offer in some stores

Options

Comments

• flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would honestly never occur to me to go in and get a free coffee without buying something! Surely it's not much better than stealing?!

I buy a few bits in my local Waitrose a couple of times a month and nowadays you can only get a cup at the checkout.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It may not be in the spirit of the offer but to align it with stealing is silly.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »

The John Lewis cake and coffee vouchers will be next, no doubt.

Gone already to all intents and purposes - the promised 3 vouchers a year have long since disappeared for most people.

This, and the free coffee/newspaper, was intended to set John Lewis/Waitrose apart from the cheaper alternatives such as Amazon and Aldi and keep customers from defecting.

It hasn't really worked, because the price gap is far too wide, so they're dismantling the schemes, piece by piece.

They've also dismantled what used to be John Lewis's excellent customer service, as anyone who's shopped there recently, or had a problem, will tell you, and Andy Street is on his way in advance of some pretty poor trading results - just like the CEOs of Sainsbury and Tesco did before things went wrong there.

Things aren't looking good - except for Amazon and Aldi, of course. :)
  • The_all_new_me_2
    Options
    Couldn't have put it better myself Doc N.
  • gwa1981
    gwa1981 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear, my father in law won't be happy
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's all being dismantled, piece by piece, slowly but surely:

We just wanted to make you aware of a small change to your myWaitrose benefits.

From 1 November 2016, the minimum spend to receive money off your shopping with selected newspapers from Monday to Friday will be £10. It will remain £10 at weekends as it is now.

The titles included in the offer are The Telegraph, the Guardian, the Daily Mail, The Times and The Sun as well as The Sunday Telegraph, The Observer, The Sunday Times, The Mail on Sunday and the Sun on Sunday.

We would like to thank you in advance for your understanding. Please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff at your local Waitrose if you have any questions.
  • Sunny_Saver
    Sunny_Saver Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And no doubt soon weekend spend will have to be £15.

I agree that customer services has gone downhill.
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 October 2016 at 7:43PM
    Options
    gwa1981 wrote: »
    Oh dear, my father in law won't be happy

Why is that then ?

Just spend the £10 and you have your hot drink.

Was bound to happen at some point.
  • Smidster
    Smidster Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Why is that then ?

Just spend the £10 and you have your hot drink.

Was bound to happen at some point.

I don't think any of us are "happy" with the changes. The extent to which you are unhappy will dictate whether you continue to shop at Waitrose.

We will see if there is any customer reaction to this (or any other perk) perk removal in the medium term. There are some really interesting psychology studies about price and in particular charging for something that used to be free. We get annoyed by something going from £1 to £1.50 but detest something going from 0 to 5p

I often used to see people get other stuff with the coffee so how much of that trade will be affected - e.g. croissants in the morning?
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    It may not be in the spirit of the offer but to align it with stealing is silly.

Said by someone who takes the free drink without spending a penny, no doubt.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business