Pension access age changing from 55 to 57?

Options

Comments

• BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Snakey wrote: »
    Why does it make no sense?

If I can afford to retire at 55, what's the rationale behind forcing me to carry on working?

A fair question. If a minimum age for drawing your pension remained at 55 and did not rise with average life expectancy it would be increasingly likely that people would consume their pension pot before they expired or would increase the costs of providing a defined benefit pension or annuity.

Cleary you can retire whenever you want, but surely it is reasonable for the state to set a minimum age for you to access a pension when the funds you are accessing have been uplifted by tax breaks?

As far as I know you can already retire at anytime before 55 if you use money you have saved from taxed income and investment returns on which you have paid tax, and without access to a tax free lump sum:)
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The governments response to the Cridland report was due to be published on 7th May. It has now been shelved until after the general election.

Perhaps their response will be adjusted depending on the size of their majority if they win lol
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »
    A fair question. If a minimum age for drawing your pension remained at 55 and did not rise with average life expectancy it would be increasingly likely that people would consume their pension pot before they expired or would increase the costs of providing a defined benefit pension or annuity.
    That's the reason they gave in the condoc - a benevolent government trying to protect us from ourselves. Thing is, pot size isn't solely a function of age. If the issue is truly that they're worried we might run out before we die, access permission should be based on a formula, of which current age would only be one factor. However, since it's impossible to reconcile the rules for pension freedoms with this apparent concern, I call BS on the reasoning in the condoc.
    Cleary you can retire whenever you want, but surely it is reasonable for the state to set a minimum age for you to access a pension when the funds you are accessing have been uplifted by tax breaks?
    Yes, that makes sense. The government has always wanted to encourage people to save for their retirement (thus the use of tax as a policy tool has given us the tax-free lump sum and the potential to benefit from arbitrage of tax rates). Clearly there is an age below which allowing access would make a nonsense of the words "retirement" and "pension" and defeat their aim.

But we are talking about whether/why that age should be moved upwards from 55 (recently 50, let's not forget), and I'm struggling to see a policy reason that I can understand. The access age has never been set at the point of actual human decrepitude - it's always allowed for the concept of early retirement, which is another policy carrot.

I've already had the tax relief - that's banked, it's in the past, it won't change if you raise the access age. And since the taxpayer won't be subsidising me in the years when the pension pays out, the date I start to collect surely makes no difference to anything.
    As far as I know you can already retire at anytime before 55 if you use money you have saved from taxed income and investment returns on which you have paid tax, and without access to a tax free lump sum:)
    I certainly hope to :D - but you have failed to convince me that it "makes no sense" to keep the private pension access age at 55 despite the State pension age going up. Paying State pensions hits the taxpayers of that year in the pocket i.e. costs real people real money right now, in a way that allowing access to private pensions just doesn't.

Interesting discussion. I hope you have some time to reply over the weekend. :)
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Snakey wrote: »
    That's the reason they gave in the condoc - a benevolent government trying to protect us from ourselves.Thing is, pot size isn't solely a function of age.

Minimum age is arbitrary I agree, but rather than having to justify each change SRP age less 10 years seems a simple way of doing things as they suggested.
    If the issue is truly that they're worried we might run out before we die, access permission should be based on a formula, of which current age would only be one factor. However, since it's impossible to reconcile the rules for pension freedoms with this apparent concern, I call BS on the reasoning in the condoc.

I agree there is a case for saying that there should be no minimum age just criteria for access. I think the problem is that we have no evidence of the impact of these pension freedoms. A significant but unknown number of people will get good advice and make sensible decisions. But I am sure that 30 years from now we will see an increasing number of people who are complaining that the age expectancy forecasts were wrong, the advice was poor etc and it will become the PPI of its era. Similarly there will be people who simply spent their pot too quickly or unwisely. That could have significant implications that affects pensioner poverty and reliance on state benefits. It may not be a problem but at present do we really know? That of itself may justify a minimum age.

I've already had the tax relief - that's banked, it's in the past, it won't change if you raise the access age. And since the taxpayer won't be subsidising me in the years when the pension pays out, the date I start to collect surely makes no difference to anything.

In individual cases this is probably true. Some people will reach their life expectancy date with 50% of the funds left, others will have spent it all before that date. The trouble is that failing to have any controls relies on everyone doing the sensible thing, whereas any regulation is state interference. The way I look at it is that the Government is granting us pension freedoms in return for some restrictions (min age, TFLS %) they set, but that these may change over time.

For example if people start spending the pots too quickly they might reduce the size of future TFLSs or set limits on how quickly you can reduce the size of the pot.
    I certainly hope to :D - but you have failed to convince me that it "makes no sense" to keep the private pension access age at 55 despite the State pension age going up. Paying State pensions hits the taxpayers of that year in the pocket i.e. costs real people real money right now, in a way that allowing access to private pensions just doesn't.

Interesting discussion. I hope you have some time to reply over the weekend. :)

I am not trying to convince you just say why I think there is a minimum age. Personal pensions are different, but we also need to remember that if someone has an adequate pension pot inflated by tax advantages, there should be an expectation that they endeavour to make it last their lifetime. But if it does not last the future taxpayer will face increased costs.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • cns06
    cns06 Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I think they should lower it to 50! Not because people will blow it all at 50 but if you push the age up more people are likely to take it then. I don't know the exact stats but I suspect a lot of people with a SIPP don't actually draw it at 55. If you make it 57,58 etc the chances are they will. So make it 50, people wont touch it and it should all just sort itself out. People are not as silly as the Daily Mail like to make out.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm still not clear when in 2028 this will change.

I.e. do you have to be 55 on the 1st Jan or maybe on the first day of the new tax year?

Specifically affects those born in 1973
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 July 2017 at 12:36PM
    Options
    The first day of the new tax year is usual.

I'd prefer to see it reduced to 50. One of the effects is to force those who want to retire early to keep more money outside pensions than is desirable.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Note the proposal has been suggested to be that it is 10 years before SPA and of course SPA is now going to rise to 68 in 2037 so could it be increased to 58 in 2027?
    I think....
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Since it isnt legislated yet then all sorts of options are available.

If it is to track 10 years below the SPa from that point on then it could increase by a month every two months as the SPa increases if the current method of changing SPa is used again.

It is a long way off, I wouldnt rely on anything.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Last time (the change from 50 to 55) it was the start of the new tax year. If you were born on 5th April 1960 you could draw your pension at 50 (although you only had a single day on which you could do it), if you were born on 6th April 1960 you had to wait until 55.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure