PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow cooker favourites

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I put diced beef, onion, mushroom & diced potatoes (pretty small) and when cooked pop it in a pie dish with a shortcrust pastry top.
    Sometimes I add a bit of blue Stilton cheese.
    If you do quite a lot of liquid, it makes a lovely rich gravy.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I love all the chuck in stuff, I'm not a recipe following kind of person and love anything I can just chuck in and leave then come home to a lovely meal :)
    Living the simple life
  • ellejaytee
    Options
    I get an awful lot of my sc recipes from here. They are almost all freezable before cooking - just take out the night before and dump in the sc in the morning. There are quite a lot of sc meals for two (which is good as we have a tiny sc and there are only two of us). My favourites are orange and ginger chicken and lemon pepper chicken
    Save £12k in 2014 Member 81 £1930.23/£5000
  • peaceandfreedom
    Options
    I love slow-cooking things - I have an old slow cooker with a proper crockpot, does a lovely job. I always prepare the food until piping hot in a pan before transferring to the slow cooker.

This is a rather good recipe - Beef and Chorizo Stew

INGREDIENTS (exact measurements are not important)
    Chorizo sausages - about 250g
    Braising Steak - between 500g and 1000g depending on your budget / how many you are feeding
    Onions - 2 medium
    Tin of cherry tomatoes - 440g-ish
    Black Olives (pitted) - 100g
    Red peppers - 1 or 2
    Garlic - 2 or 3 cloves (or as many as you like)
    Paprika - 1 teaspoon
    Cumin, G - 1 teaspoon
    Dried Chilli Flakes - 1 teaspoon
    Dried oregano - 1 teaspoon
    Beef stock - 300ml

Brown off the braising steak and set to one side. Slice up the chorizo and brown off until the oil starts to come out - set to one side as well. In the same pan, gently fry the onions until softened (you might need to add a bit of olive oil), then add the sliced red pepper and soften that as well. Return the beef and chorizo to the pan, add the tomatoes, the crushed garlic, the olives, herbs and spices. Add enough beef stock to just cover everything - you can always add more later if you don't think there's enough.

Transfer the lot to the slow cooker and let it cook on low for 6-8 hours. It is utterly delicious.

Really, you can invent almost any casserole/stew meal in the slow cooker, just as you would with a regular oven. Just don't add as much liquid. Fry off the main ingredients, add the stock and bung in the slow cooker. Beef in ale is particularly good. (You won't need the whole bottle so use the rest of the ale to soak some dried fruit in overnight, and then make a very lush ale-cake with it the next day.)

You can also make THE best bone stock in a slow cooker - I save chicken carcasses/bones in the freezer until I have at least two chickens-worth, then put in the slow cooker with a carrot,onion,celery,peppercorns and leave on low for at least 24 hours. When strained and cooled, it is proper jelly-like stock. I freeze in silicon muffin-tin-size portions. It makes the most excellent soup with whatever vegetables are to hand.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    I think the above recipe sounds lovely and I think it would work with both pork and chicken too.

When I do a pork or chicken one-pot meal with sliced potaotes, mushrooms, onions and a tin of chopped tomatoes, I always put some chorizo in as I think it gives a lovely smokey flavour.
  • nonnatus
    nonnatus Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    Options
    TINK - I genuinely doubted your sanity on the topic of S/C Jackets, but I tried your method out yesterday and it worked a treat!

I left the Jackets in the S/C for 5 hours whilst we were out (wouldn't have risked leaving the oven on for so long with the house empty) and made the skins crispy whilst I prepared the fillings.

'Twas Tremendous! Thanks ~ :T:T:T

I tend to use the slow cooker to add quality to really cheap meats. I buy the cheapest mince available and once it's done 8 hours in the S/C it eats like shredded fillet steak!! No gristle or chewy bits, makes the most divine stuffing for Taco's or cottage pie etc...
  • peaceandfreedom
    Options
    nonnatus wrote: »
    TINK - I genuinely doubted your sanity on the topic of S/C Jackets, but I tried your method out yesterday and it worked a treat!

I left the Jackets in the S/C for 5 hours whilst we were out (wouldn't have risked leaving the oven on for so long with the house empty) and made the skins crispy whilst I prepared the fillings.

'Twas Tremendous! Thanks ~ :T:T:T

I tend to use the slow cooker to add quality to really cheap meats. I buy the cheapest mince available and once it's done 8 hours in the S/C it eats like shredded fillet steak!! No gristle or chewy bits, makes the most divine stuffing for Taco's or cottage pie etc...

Well, having read that, I am now definitely going to try the jacket spuds in the slow cooker, was worried about the crispy skin side of things but of course, they can be crisped up afterwards.

Doing a cottage pie mix in mine today :).
  • Pollycat
    Options
    nonnatus wrote: »
    I do my jackets in the microwave for 5-10 minutes, depending on how many and how big, then finish off in the oven to crisp them up.

Would be interested to know how the slow-cooked ones compare if you've tried the microwave/oven method.

Thanks
  • bigdaftkid
    Options
    I have 3 slow cookers and use at least one of them every week. Have a look on the website called " slow cooker central " there are hundreds of recepies on there. I had never even thought of making cakes, bread, puddings in it till I went on there.
    Proud to be living a frugal lifestyle
  • gingery
    Options
    Wonderfully healthy Bone Broth!
    Google it to find out what it can do for you / how to use it.
    Beef bones continue to give out nutrients when cooked
    for 24 hours!
    Be healthy! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills