Advice on eplainingunemployment

Options
Hi,

A week ago today, what had been brought to my attention 12 hours earlier by an ex-collegue, was confirmed by my manager; namely, he hadn't paid my tax and NI since May 2016. It's a small company, only 4 employees and the manager is also the director.

I was quite dumbfounded. I contacted HMRC who are looking into the details and also the manager to say I wasn't returning. There's no way I could stay knowing this.

Hopefully what I can find here is advice on how to communicate this episode on my CV, cover letters and, hopefully, interviews.

The work was in publishing and I was a designer, also just turned 50, so there is a reasonable chance that the gap to the next job could grow quite quickly.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't understand why you left?

With that in mind, you either have a gap of 19 months, or you find a way to explain to a future employer? - atleast with your line of work, you could attempt self employment.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's no way I could stay knowing this.

Why?

You would still be earning and the tax/ nic's will be addressed now they're on the HMRC radar.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Hi,

A week ago today, what had been brought to my attention 12 hours earlier by an ex-collegue, was confirmed by my manager; namely, he hadn't paid my tax and NI since May 2016. It's a small company, only 4 employees and the manager is also the director.

I was quite dumbfounded. I contacted HMRC who are looking into the details and also the manager to say I wasn't returning. There's no way I could stay knowing this.

Hopefully what I can find here is advice on how to communicate this episode on my CV, cover letters and, hopefully, interviews.

The work was in publishing and I was a designer, also just turned 50, so there is a reasonable chance that the gap to the next job could grow quite quickly.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
    What on earth????

So the employer was paying you and yet you jacked it in.....brilliant
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why didn't you question your ex-Employer about non-receipt of payslips and certainly a P60 by end May?

At your age presumably, this isn't your first employment and you should know what to expect.
  • Timi_Hendrix
    Options
    I did get payslips with deductions marked up which is why nothing seemed untoward. The lack of P60 was floating around my mind but, obviously naively, I wasn't alarmed.

I left because being such a small company I wouldn't be able to trust him. He gave the orders and had been lying about paying contributions for the 5 employees – except 2 of them don't know as he hasn't and wasn't going to tell them. Apparently he's going to pay it back, who knows.

Maybe you would be happy going in every day to work like that, not quite sure what else was not quite true. I wasn't.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    I did get payslips with deductions marked up which is why nothing seemed untoward. The lack of P60 was floating around my mind but, obviously naively, I wasn't alarmed.

I left because being such a small company I wouldn't be able to trust him. He gave the orders and had been lying about paying contributions for the 5 employees – except 2 of them don't know as he hasn't and wasn't going to tell them. Apparently he's going to pay it back, who knows.

Maybe you would be happy going in every day to work like that, not quite sure what else was not quite true. I wasn't.

Is unemployment preferable?

I'm hoping you have savings as a claim for benefits is likely to be sanctioned.
  • Timi_Hendrix
    Options
    Unemployment is not ideal but neither is a 3 and a half hour daily commute and a 11 hour work day.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unemployment is not ideal but neither is a 3 and a half hour daily commute and a 11 hour work day.

And yet it's been ideal enough for you to do it for the last 18 months. It's a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face, when a more sensible option would have been to remain in the job until you found a new one.
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would be leaving over the 3.5 hours commute, rather then the tax. Why did he not pay ? was it because he could not afford it or that he did not fully understand the rules.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Advice on what? You gavee up a job that was paying you for no job. It's the employers problem to sort out the dealings with HMRC. No reason to resign. You had an income and you were happy enough taking the money for the last 18 months - you could have carried on taking the money while this was sorted out, or whilst the employer became insolvent. The latter not being ideal, but it's still an income until it happens, and an explainable termination.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure