Umbrella and self assesment

Options
I am a contractor working under an umbrella company,they deduct tax and NI from my money and pay the rest to me,I have had a fine from HMRC for not filling SA,do I have to do this and would I be better getting an accountant or tax adviser to do it for me
I :love: MOJACAR

Comments

• Wayne_O_Mac
    Options
    hartcjhart wrote: »
    I have had a fine from HMRC for not filling SA,do I have to do this
    If they've told you to fill in a tax return, then yes you do have to do it.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Did you receive a notice to file a tax return for 15/16? Is there any reason why you might be required to do one?
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Phone them up and ask to be excused from filling in a SA return if you have no reason to do one. Many HMRC advisors are actually human and the chances are that they'll be able/willing to withdraw the notice to complete a SA return and close the SA record if they can be persuaded that your tax is right and tax affairs were simple for the year in question.

Unfortunately, you may also end up talking to a HMRC jobsworth who trots out the party line of "If they've told you to fill in a tax return, then yes you do have to do it". That may be correct in law, but like I say, in reality, many HMRC advisors are human, so you have to hope for the best and be courteous and, yes, grovel if necessary as you're in their hands.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Pennywise is right - whilst it's correct that you are required to complete a tax return if you receive a notice to file one, HMRC have had the statutory power to retrospectively revoke notices to file a tax return in some circumstances for about 4 years now. If one has been issued in error because all of your income has been taxed correctly at source, they should revoke it and the fine should be cancelled too.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Note that using an umbrella company does not, of itself, require you to complete SA, but it may be more likely that HMRC would pick you to do it. You shouldn't need an accountant to fill it in unless you have complicated income sources that you haven't told us about
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure