PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mould on ceilings

Options
Could anybody please help me with the ugly mould on cielings. At first it came off with a solution of washing up and bleach but it was back soon. Next time I could get rid of it only by using neat bleach and now even neat bleach wont shift it and it is growing everyday.Any suggestions pleeeeeeeeeeeeease.

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, Tiby! You need to get rid of the source of the mould. Do you have a leak above? Is your home poorly ventilated? Is it in all rooms, or just some?

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Options
    It stinks, its not very OS but Dettol Mould and Mildew remover is brilliant.
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • Tiby
    Tiby Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, Tiby! You need to get rid of the source of the mould. Do you have a leak above? Is your home poorly ventilated? Is it in all rooms, or just some?

Penny. x[/QUOTE

Its inthe corner of one room. There is no leak , but you have a point about ventillation. The mould always come in the corner where there are two big wardrobes and the area above those is not very ventillated at all. Is there no hope then?:eek:
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tiby wrote: »
    Its inthe corner of one room. There is no leak , but you have a point about ventillation. The mould always come in the corner where there are two big wardrobes and the area above those is not very ventillated at all. Is there no hope then?:eek:

Are you 100% sure theres no leak from above? I only ask as we had the same problem in our bedroom for a few years. We thought it was because we had the old metal framed windows. When we had UPVC fitted the problem still remained. Hubby went into the loft and found we had a cracked roof tile. Claimed on insurance for cracked tile and a new bedroom ceiling.
  • benood
    benood Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    It's almost certainly condesation - mold is a tell tale sign. Heat and ventilation may solve the problem - try to open windows after using the shower or hob - you may find that is enough.
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure you don't have damp coming through from somewhere. If it is under a bath or shower that is a dead giveaway or if it is on an outside wall is the guttering blocked or broken there or is there a downspout there that is damaged? If it is upstairs are there loose or cracked tiles in that area.
  • dragonfly02
    Options
    I had this same problem in most of my upstairs room (no heating) I use the tumble an awful lot and open windows when i can but its just so cold at the mo and with small kids it's always in the back of my mind when the windows ae open.

I have a walk in wardrobe inn my room and some clothes had mould growing on them too, i cleaned all the mould i could see and leave the doors open whenever i can both on the wardrobe and all bedroom doors, so far the mould re-growth is only minimal amounts and now very managable, i have to wipe round windowsills and rubber window seals once a week now but the ceiling problem seems to have gone.

If you are unable to open windows a lot Tiby then open as many doors as possible as often as possible just to allow fresh air to circulate, you may also have your wardrobes too close to the wall, is there any sign of mould growing behind the wardrobes?

Hope this helps to at least make the growth more managable until you find the root of the problem, in my case i think no heating upstairs and alot of tumble drying is causing the problem
    Running total for swagbucks - £270 since Jan
    Running total for superpoints -

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• emilyt
    emilyt Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bizzimum wrote: »
    Yes this works well. I use this on my bathroom ceiling.
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile :D
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for this -i found some mould/mildew on sons bedroom wall-its happened a couple of times before in the 5 years we have been living here.last time i painted area with some of the special paint you can get but it is on the only outside wall that doesnt have a radiator-dunno if that makes a difference.he has his bed right up against the wall-but it also happened in the corner this time where he has a chair-a computer type one-so was aired underneath but could be from all the clothes he keeps on top of the chair and the fact he puts ironing board leaning on the wall.yes my son irons lol.i bought some Astonish mould and mildew cleaner from local shop1.49 so not too pricey as bleach neat or otherwise didnt shift it

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
  • PennyPinchingPrincess
    Options
    Bizzimum wrote: »

Astonish is cheaper and just as good :D
    Refusing to Sit Down & Shut Up since 1974 :kiss:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family