old debt come back to haunt

Options
i really need some advice re an old debt with the in home course company ICS . the basics are back in 1996 i signed up to do a course from home i beleive the course was £358 in all anyway after a couple of months we moved house and this course was forgotten in the excitment of things, anyway after another couple of months i contacted them to continue the course to be told i have defaulted by not contining the course and sending the payment over the period of the move, i was refered to a debt recovery company and offered to continued to pay on the peviso that when i had paid i could continue the course anyway somewhere along the line i had a conversation to one of their staff that even if i pay for the course (which i have only had two lots of paperwork for, not even the free software that was to come with it) i would not be able to complete this course at all.i owe this company £175 and they have just rang me again to collect on this money, they even offered me a pay in full discount to £125. the lady that rang last time kept mentioning the contract etc but i really begrudge paying over £300 for 2 a4 envelopes of papers.

is there any way that i could not be liable for this full amount if i have to pay it i will pay the minimum amount only but i will pay

Comments

• Malestrom
    Malestrom Posts: 983 Forumite
    Options
    If you've made no payments on this debt and if you haven't aknowledged in writing that you owe the debt in the last six years, then you should be able to use the Limitation Act to write this off as long as no CCJ has been issued previously. More info here
    He huihuinga taangata he pukenga whakaaro – A meeting of people; a wellspring of ideas (Maori proverb)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure