Advertising Private Piano Tuition

Options
Hello,

I am hoping to start teaching the piano privately. I am relevantly qualified and have a piano in my flat. However, it is proving hard to find committed students. I have had a couple take a few lessons and give up. I have been posting on facebook selling groups which has earned me one student but other than that I just get a lot of likes and people looking for a teacher that will travel to them. Where are the best places (preferably free) for me to advertise my services?

Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    A guy sells violin lessons in Chelmsford city centre on the high street, always out at Christmas time especially with his board.

I know music tutors who do quite a bit with churches etc so that might also be worth trying.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    I haven't needed to advertise for a while, but local libraries used to be good. Some local music shops also keep lists of teachers.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • BorisThomson
    Options
    Do you have a DBS check?

What are your qualifications?

My (private) school kept a register of recommended music teachers, you could contact your closest to see if they do. I expect you will struggle with wanting people to visit you, few parents will be comfortable with that.
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    Get your DBS check m8, you may work with children. IMO when a person want sa tutor, they will come find YOU. so just make yourself visible.
  • jamesperrett
    Options
    I have been posting on facebook selling groups

As well as selling groups you should lurk on local community groups. The group for our town often has requests for music teachers. I would also say that you need to be flexible and be prepared to visit students in their own home if it isn't too far away.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am hoping to start teaching the piano privately. I am relevantly qualified and have a piano in my flat. However, it is proving hard to find committed students.

I have had a couple take a few lessons and give up.

I hope this doesn't sound rude but - are you a good teacher?

Did the students stop coming because they didn't like your method of teaching, were uncomfortable being in your flat rather than their own home or didn't click with you personally rather than not being committed?
  • emperorstevee
    Options
    Don't worry, it does not sound rude. And no, it shouldn't be anything to do with my teaching ability. I have experience in school as a teaching assistant and lead at my local St John Ambulance cadet unit. :) One of my students was a pilot and said he just doesn't get time to practice. Another just stopped communicating whatsoever.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The best way to advertise yourself is to be seeing "doing your thing" - whether that's drumming up PR by playing the piano (for free) at specific events at local care homes (make sure somebody takes good/staged photos and you send off a photo and press release to the local papers each time), or joining local amateur dramatics types of groups to play the piano for free to get known and seen.

If you sit in your flat and place ads people aren't that interested... if they see you within the local community and see your name everywhere, then they'll be forming a queue.

You could even do PR stunt stuff yourself that's piano related, or not. e.g. supporting a local charity by doing a "12 hour singalong in the foyer of the local supermarket" and teaming up with a local musical choir/group where they get to shake their bucket and you get to ensure you get good newspaper photos/PR from the event. Have your "press release wording" pre-prepared ... ".... who teaches the piano locally, was keen to support this charity but said By Eck My Fingers Hurt"
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Don't worry, it does not sound rude. And no, it shouldn't be anything to do with my teaching ability. I have experience in school as a teaching assistant and lead at my local St John Ambulance cadet unit. :) One of my students was a pilot and said he just doesn't get time to practice. Another just stopped communicating whatsoever.

You were asked about your qualifications, though - is this the sum total of your qualifications? I would expect a piano teacher to have at least a teaching diploma from a recognised music college or ABRSM, and I would hope that parents would also look for properly qualified teachers.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • emperorstevee
    Options
    No, those aren't my qualifications :) I have a grade 7 on the piano and a Level 2 BTEC in Music :) And of course the standard B's in English language, lit, maths etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure