And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Options

Comments

• pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've had a right accident prone day. Whilst wrestling out the most deep rooted and stubborn shrub in the history of b****y awkward shrubs I bent down to grapple a particularly frustrating bit and got a twig in the eye to go with the three broken nails. After that I was enjoying a quick bit of catch up tv with coffee and a bowl of popcorn and lost a chunk of tooth:( I did have to laugh to myself as my first thought was hoping it wouldn't be too expensive - sign of a true mfw addict:rotfl:

Other than the above, today has been a good day. I woke at 8.30:o but felt better for it. Not to be cheated out of my Saturday treat of a coffee and a quiet read in bed by sleeping in I did it anyway so I never got going until 9.30. Felt nice and relaxed when I did though:p

The food shopping was done for £13.53 and that was mainly toiletries and some cleaning bits plus milk and some fresh fruit and veg. I've had some real luck with YS meat recently which is normally hard to come buy so I grabbed it while I could. It will last us months and months and it was a real bargain at £47 for £114 worth of meat plus a load of 10p carvery meat that is normally £2:eek:. However it has decimated my monthly budget. I've got £49.70 to last three weeks:eek: Feel a store cupboard challenge coming on...

Breakfast was fakeaway egg Mcmuffins, lunch was tuna melts using ys artisan rolls which were yummy seeded ones. Dinner was hm pizza and salad. I made double dough and portioned some up for the freezer and did a vat of sauce in the slow cooker so there was 6 pots to freeze.

The rest of the day was battling that sodding bush:mad: It is the second round DS and I have done with it and we are winning. there's about a third of it left to go so I'm hoping one more session will do it. Its right in front of the patio doors and is overgrown and frankly, ugly. I'm going to plant lavender and lovely bulbs in its place:D

Two loads of laundry are done and drying on the airers and DD changed her bed. I've also done my weekly filing:A Must keep it up!

Went for a very cold run!

DD and BF are booking their summer adventure and DS is out with his mates so I'm going to have an hour in front of the TV before my taxi services are required.

I've no money news other than my new for2018 approach to gift buying and in particular Christmas seems to be going well. I was shocked by my annual spend in 2017 (nearly £600:eek:) and its quite honestly neither sensible or sustainable. To try and keep it within reasonable levels this year I wrote a list and toddled off to the sales and bought most of my birthday and Christmas gifts for the coming year. I recorded what I'd got so I wouldn't forget and put them in clip top storage boxes in the attic. There were some amazing deals on make up and nail sets plus half price jumpers, scented candles and reed diffusers and £5 dressing gowns, 50p bed socks and £2 slippers:D I also bid for some silver bangles, bracelets and necklaces from China on Ebay and get several for between 35p and £1.07 plus some organza bags and gift boxes to put them in. Came to less than £10 and that's my nieces all sorted plus some bits for DD:D
    I then held my nerve for the Christmas stuff until it hit rock bottom and picked up gift bags, wrapping paper, ribbon, cards, crackers at 75% off:money: I've still got the kid's main pressies to budget for but they will be getting a cheque for a fixed amount plus a few things to open (most of which I have). My spreadsheet (get me:rotfl:) says £76.35 -well chuffed:j

Off for a cup of tea, a few Christmas chocs and a some TV. Living the Saturday night dream:rotfl:

Happy rest of the weekend to you.

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Wow. That's amazing - the present buying and meat buying. Go you.

Boo to the bush though. Dynamite?
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Wow. That's amazing - the present buying and meat buying. Go you.

Boo to the bush though. Dynamite?

Not sure that would shift it :rotfl:
  • sofarbehind
    Options
    Ouch! Evil, mean bush. Is it out now? I am impressed that you are gardening in this weather. I had a quick tidy up of the front but decided it's too cold to anything in the back, I have a lot to get on with but I'm ignoring it. I too have a huge light blocking bush that needs to go..

Where did you get the pressie stuff? ASDA? I'm impressed with that, I spent a lot on gifts too and buying a few bits now would help. Particularly stuff like wrapping paper and candles.
    Mortgage overpayments 2018: £4602, 2019: £7870
    Mortgage overpayments 2020: £4620
    Mortgage 2017 £145K, June 2020 £112.6k:o
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Where's today gone? Mostly helping DS with stuff but what a lovely way to spend a day. I love it that they are building their own lives but I miss have them with me all the time so much:)
    Course work is finished and checked, food tech trial run is done and in the oven and we've found ways to speed things up so he can do his three things in three hours. Trialling main course next week and the whole thing the weekend before his assessment. At least he will have an appreciation of how much energy goes into feeding people - he was knackered having done dessert:rotfl:

No money news other than we had lo pizza for lunch and I filled the oven with baked potatoes for the freezer while it was on with ds's food tech so that'll save a few bob. Family are landing for dinner which is ys roast pork with the last of the ys veggies which have been roasted. There was batched cooked cauli cheese, red cabbage and dauphinoise potatoes in the freezer so that made things a bit easier. DS's torte del Nonna is for pud :)

Laundry needs folding and putting away and I need to make myself presentable but other than that jobs for the weekend are done (still more to do but officially saying no more for today!).
    The week ahead is looking busy but manageable although I'm sure a five day week will prove a shock:eek:

I'm reading Greying Pilgrim's diary - she is so positive and upbeat I'm going to take a leaf out of her book and try and get through the week without twining:rotfl:

Hope everyone's had a good weekend.

PP x
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Ouch! Evil, mean bush. Is it out now? I am impressed that you are gardening in this weather. I had a quick tidy up of the front but decided it's too cold to anything in the back, I have a lot to get on with but I'm ignoring it. I too have a huge light blocking bush that needs to go..

Where did you get the pressie stuff? ASDA? I'm impressed with that, I spent a lot on gifts too and buying a few bits now would help. Particularly stuff like wrapping paper and candles.

Sadly about a third of the b*****d is still there:mad: Had enough of it for one weekend!

My gifts were mainly asda with a candles and bits from Poundstretcher and jewellery from Ebay auctions (shipped from China so take a while but cheap as chips. I also found that on the rare occasion there is a problem with shipping or quality they give a no quibble refund).
    All the paper and stuff was from Asda. Just hope come December I can find it all:rotfl:

Well done on getting out for your run. Hope you aren't suffering from runner's a**e today :) How was your Sc casserole?
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Thanks pinky! Feeling on the mend now!
    Well done on those bargains!! ��And all that cooking! Very inspiring x
    MF planning for the simple life :beer::j
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Thanks pinky! Feeling on the mend now!
    Well done on those bargains!! ��And all that cooking! Very inspiring x

Glad you're feeling better Ella:D
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Monday done which is always an achievement! Today was busy and without major incident, my marking is done and I got out for a,walk and a good natter at lunchtime so all in all a good day.

In money news I got a £140 bill for the replacement of leaking conservatory flashings which I was expecting but it still proved painful! January is proving to be an expensive month.

Other spends were £2.34 on milk and oats plus 4 x extra special olive focaccia for 10p each:money:

I did a quick wipe and sweep before work and put the laundry away so there was nothing to tonight but make dinner. That involved putting a lo roast pork dinner in the mW and waiting for it to ting:D
    Lunch was also lo so a zero effort day!

Managed a kettle bells class but only 1.5 litres of water drank so far.

Off to collect ds from tonight's sports club then reading for a bit and bed.

PP xx
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Sounds like a good day for you. And you'll be grateful for the conservatory repair when (if) the weather improves.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure