PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Basil is slug-nip up here.

I've plain given up & buy the supermarket plants.

The bay & rosemary do very well, the sage gets a hammering from my husband who adores the stuff, so I am to grow more this year. (Yes, his grip on how plants grow, & die, is a bit tenuous.That said, either he or nearby child realised that after they'd weedwhacked my jostaberry, they could try making cuttings of a necessity...)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mrssnowy wrote: »
    .......and me-yuk.
    Not a 'last meal'for me.

mrss

No, not yuk..... I put a handful of oats or two in a bowl, grate 1/3 to 1/2 a courgette in, mix with almond milk, put in frozen berries and leave the whole to soak - preferably overnight. Then i add a couple of spoons of greek yogurt and add chopped nuts. it's delicious, I miss the courgette if i don't have it. You can't taste it, but it adds a great texture and bulks without adding to the carb content.

Try it - you might surprise yourself :D

If you google 'zoats' there are recipes, but most are eaten hot whereas i eat mine cold, like bircher muesli - it's very filling and i eat it as a sort of 'brunch' - it lasts hours before you are hungry again.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Happy birthday Mrs LW! Hope your day is going well!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I have tons of lavender but can't keep rosemary through a winter.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I find it really really strange that Italians can cope with Italian foods & cooking; the French can do the same, as can the Spanish - but the very idea of having to rely on British-only produce would send good cooks like you lot into a tizzy! I absolutely love my wartime cookbooks and the recipes in them. I like the foods I was brought up with :D
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Rosemary does very well down here, but I can't grow lavender for love nor money!
    :) I tried and failed with French lavender on the allotment but the English lavender I planted in late summer 2015 (baby plants from Liddly) grew gangbusters through 2016 and flowered wonderfully - the one called angustifolia. Not all lavenders are created equal and you may succeed with a different variety. I've added another six plants from same source in 2016 and when they grow up, I shall have a lavender hedge across the middle of the plot. The bees absolutely adore it.

:bdaycake:Happy Birthday MrsLW! Hope you're having a fantastic day.

Karmakat, courgettes are beyond simples to germinate, pls give them a go from seed, it's just a case of poking a seed into a pot of dampened compost then ignoring it for a while. If it's tough to grow, I don't bother with it, but courgettes are child's play.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you it's been a lovely day and nice to have lunch out too followed by a walk with Cookie Sue and Charlie retriever which is always nice. Fire is lit, tea has been drunk, both daughters have been chatted to and Zebra bought me a cyclamen, how can anyone be uncheered with all that in a day?

I love the idea of only having British foods available to cook with I'm sure we ate very nice things when I was growing up and I seem to think deciding what to cook was a darned site easier without all the different cuisines to throw into the mix. What would be nicer than fresh prawns and bread and butter for a starter followed by spring lamb, new potatoes and asparagus and then a piece of stilton with oatcakes and fresh raspberries and cream to end the meal, ambrosial!!!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    A lot of us would have problems if we had to stick to British foods only that's the thing.

I'd already have to think "That sample meal is out for me - wouldnt eat prawns or lamb and dont like stilton". New potatoes and asparagus (preferably organic) would be fine. Raspberries and cream fine (if organic).

Hence the need for a wide range of food to be available - for things people have decided not to eat/are allergic to/etc and then plenty of extra choice on top for those who'd get bored with a limited range of food. End result - the need to have a lot of different choices available to suit everyone.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 January 2017 at 6:34PM
    Options
    Many other home produced things that would be lovely to eat that don't include prawns, lamb or stilton. Freshly picked mushrooms just fried in butter? new peas straight from the pod steamed for a few minutes, crisp little round red radishes with salt, butter and crispy crusty bread, the first tiny broad beans straight from the pod, Honey in the comb such treasures as we have available!

Gosh feeling hungry with all these ponderings mine also include a perfect 3 minute egg with soldiers, the first English cox apple of the autumn, spring rhubarb, a buttery perfectly ripe comice pear, watercress, a sun warm strawberry picked straight from our plants in the garden, purple sprouting broccoli steamed for s few minutes and anointed with melted butter, mint tea with mint from the herb patch, autumn chestnuts roasted in the embers, baked bramley apples stuffed with foraged blackberries and clotted cream..... we produce some smashing foods don't we?
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I like my food to be local and ideally organic. As a result I mostly shop from my local farm shop and a health food shop (or online health-food supplier). My choice may be more limited, but that's no bad thing.

Cauliflower roasted whole is delicious. There are leeks, cabbages, parsnips, carrots, celeriac, swedes, jerusalem artichokes all available at the moment. I admit I'm eating tomatoes all through the winter - but they're local from the Isle of Wight (or my neighbour's greenhouse until a few weeks ago). Otherwise it's just a question of adapting to the seasons. I do eat meat, seafood, dairy and eggs, but not in significant quantities. Mostly I eat vegetables. Or chocolate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure