With 30 min break deducted.

So she would get £120 pw after?
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    Kitty4kits wrote: »
    She works 16 hours at £8ph
    With 30 min break deducted.

So she would get £120 pw after?

You see, I don't actually know how they officially work it out BUT you've effectively said "£480 a month divided by 4 weeks per month = £120"

That's not mathematically correct, as most months have 30 (or more) days in them.

30/7 = 4.286 weeks in a month.

If you divide £480 by 4.286 then you get £112, which makes you ineligible for SSP.

So yea, they might actually be correct here..... JUST ABOUT!
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You see, I don't actually know how they officially work it out BUT you've effectively said "£480 a month divided by 4 weeks per month = £120"

What she said was that she's paid for 15 hours per week at £8 per hour which is £120. She said nothing about monthly pay at all.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    What she said was that she's paid for 15 hours per week at £8 per hour which is £120. She said nothing about monthly pay at all.

Let me ask you a question, how many weeks are there in a month?
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    Let me ask you a question, how many weeks are there in a month?

The answer varies depending on the month but most people would probably say four weeks.

So, most people would say £120 a week is the same as £480 a month.

I would say that £120 x 52 weeks = £6,420 per year

£6,420 / 12 = £520 a month.
  • stuartJo1989
    stuartJo1989 Posts: 461 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2018 at 12:52AM
    Options
    The answer varies depending on the month but most people would probably say four weeks.

Aye, but if you say "four weeks" then 4 weeks x 12 months = 48 weeks which doesn't add up :beer:
    So, most people would say £120 a week is the same as £480 a month.

Indeed! But it isn't because of the missing 4 weeks!
    I would say that £120 x 52 weeks = £6,420 per year

£6,420 / 12 = £520 a month.

Yep!

And by the same token, if OP is getting £480 a month then they earn £5,760 a year and divide that by 52 = £110 per week.

It is hard to conclude whether OP has met the threshold or not here, but there are quite a few scenarios whereby OP ISN'T entitled to it...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We can go round in circles trying to establish whether or not the OP's sister pays enough NI to get sick pay, but the fact remains that an employer must either pay SSP after the first three days, OR give written notification of why the employee isn't entitled to it.

PersianCatLady gave a link, and TellIt explains what to do if the employer says 'no entitlement'.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    Aye, but if you say "four weeks" then 4 weeks x 12 months = 48 weeks which doesn't add up :beer:

Indeed! But it isn't because of the missing 4 weeks!

Yep!

And by the same token, if OP is getting £480 a month then they earn £5,760 a year and divide that by 52 = £110 per week.

It is hard to conclude whether OP has met the threshold or not here, but there are quite a few scenarios whereby OP ISN'T entitled to it...

Just to clarify, I was not including myself when I said that most people would say that there are four weeks in a month.

I knew exactly what you were getting at in your post, I had to explain this to someone the other day who really couldn't grasp it at all.

She didn't understand why her 4 weekly LHA payment was not the same as the rent (In PCM). Her full rent iwill be paid by LHA but I just know that she is really going to struggle with the figures involved.

TBH, some people find managing their finances hard enough already.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    Just to clarify, I was not including myself when I said that most people would say that there are four weeks in a month.

I knew exactly what you were getting at in your post, I had to explain this to someone the other day who really couldn't grasp it at all.

She didn't understand why her 4 weekly LHA payment was not the same as the rent (In PCM). Her full rent iwill be paid by LHA but I just know that she is really going to struggle with the figures involved.

TBH, some people find managing their finances hard enough already.
    Oh yea, I knew that you knew :)
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you want to calculate SSP entitlement you can use this....
    https://www.gov.uk/calculate-statutory-sick-pay

Broadly speaking it is calculated on an average of actual earnings for the eight weeks prior to the date sickness starts. So if you are weekly paid it would be the average of the last payday before the sickness started added to the seven paydays before that one. Bit more complicated for monthly but the calculator covers this if it applies.

As advised whether entitled or not something should have been done, either payment made or advised why payment not made.

First thing to do is get in touch with payroll to see what is happening, bits of paper do sometimes get lost they may be under the impression this was just an absence not sick pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure