IVA information

Options
Hi all I'm after some advise asap for my daughter she's just under 7000 in debt due to credit cards and a pay day loan, she is now looking into an IVA to help clear these debts so she has 1 payment a month and clear everything and be able to live,
Does anybody know if you have to pay a fee for an IVA and what this is likely to be? Also they've said to her she can over pay if she has the money to pay it off quicker?
Any advise would be brilliant she's worried sick and so are we !!!128546;
We are in no debt ourselves and know nothing about IVA only what I've read online which is confusing
Thanks in advance

Comments

• leninspot
    leninspot Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They can be a good thing. Go to a debt charity for professional advice as a debt management plan might be worth considering. What matters is that your daughter is confronting the problem and now she WILL find a way to get herself sorted. But DO go to a debt charity - they'll sort her out. Good luck.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there

Your daughter will pay a fee for the IVA but this is usually taken via the monthly payment she makes. IVAs are generally not flexible in terms of how much you pay, if you have an increase in income they are usually entitled to take a fixed percentage of that extra money. IVAs can be given a hard sell as the company involved is making money from them, that's why it's important she gets some impartial advice from one of the free debt advice agencies first.

While IVAs can work for some people your daughter's level of debt is relatively low. It's quite possible she may be able to clear the debt through a free debt management plan (DMP). Again one of the free advice agencies will be able to advise her on this. I hope it all goes well.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    An IVA for such a small amount of debt is not advisable.

Google Debt Relief Order see if she would qualify for that.

If not a debt management plan is the way forward.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Foxymum1977
    Options
    Thank you all
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, the best thing to do is contact a debt help agency, I used StepChange, and they changed my life, for the better. It's free to call 0800 138 1111. And they advise the very best route to take. I cannot praise them highly enough, they are not judgemental at all and are so very helpful and knowledgeable. Your daughter has nothing to lose and she really shouldn't feel ashamed or embarrassed, as I said, she will not be judged. I wish her all the best. I was deep in debt and now I'm not, a free phone call really did save me, and I'm not exaggerating.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    An IVA for such a small amount of debt is not advisable.

Google Debt Relief Order see if she would qualify for that.

If not a debt management plan is the way forward.

Totally agree.

If you ask an IVA provider (or worse an IVA lead generator) if you should have an IVA, the answer will be yes.

It's a badly regulated industry, and the fees distort sound advice.

DRO or dmp more likely to be suitable.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Foxymum, a close friend was in a similar situation. She contacted Christians agains Poverty and they sorted her daughter out with manageable monthly payments. No fees involved and a case manager to follow it through from beginning to end.
    See https://www.nationaldebtadvice.org.uk/Support/DebtHelp
  • Foxymum1977
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advise! She contacted step change yesterday who advised her to contact both credit card companies and explain the situation, both cards have been frozen for 30 days to allow her time to sort herself out, she starts a new job mid April but won't get paid till mid may so may need to freeze again if possible,

The pay day loan needs paying asap as obviously growing! I am very reluctant to pay this as this is the 2ns time she has had pay day loans and didn't learn from the first mistake,

Very difficult worrying situation, she has someone hassling her from an IVA company who when I said she's on the phone to step change he even said step change will advise her to do an IVA as well!! Which they did not!!
    Thanks all again
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 March 2018 at 3:16PM
    Options
    Forget the IVA, an IVA is best suited to debts over £30,000 due to the fees involved, (which incidentally is why IVA company is pestering her, they make big money from them, so there advise is biased and should be ignored) there are other solutions for debts under 10k.

Let the pay day loan company know of her difficulties as well.

They are bound by the same rules as everyone else.

In fact they are more likely to agree a total wipe of interest and to just repay the capital balance at an affordable rate.

But you must speak to them.

Check out this site, its full of useful information :

https://debtcamel.co.uk
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    If you want to name the IVA company then that may be useful if anyone ever searches for their name on this site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure