Options

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Local Collect 2 is only available if the retailer offers & pays for it

Somebody has to pay for delivery, or do you only buy from websites that do free delivery? Given the choice, I prefer a pick-up point I can go to at a time of my choosing, versus waiting all day, and then I'm in the toilet when the door bell rings.

http://www.collectplus.co.uk/

Ideally, I actually want CollectPlus, which uses a corner shop that seems to never close (alright, I haven't actually checked it at 3am). The CollectPlus model is potentially cheaper, since there is NO missed collection, and no missed delivery.

My sister refuses to let me send stuff to her home, because she always end up driving to the depot, so I send to her office. I myself have driven 40 minutes to a depot, get stuck in traffic, and they shut by 6pm, so it's a lost trip.

I will obviously wait for a fridge/freezer from John Lewis, but for the small stuff, life is too short.
  • Attackthebanks
    Options
    I am a postie, and it really annoys me the way some of the posts on here and the public perceive Royal Mail!!
    I do parcels almost everyday, i for one will NOT be delivering to a neighbour for the following reasons......

1 = It is at the POSTIES discretion IF they CHOOSE to deliver to a neighbour! (the "you's NEED to do that" quips don't fly with me")
    2 = The current RM guidelines for parcels are 22 per hour, that's just under 3 mins per item, already tough enough to manage, there is NO extra time built in for me to go chapping neighbours up only to realize there not in either and then have to return to the original door and write out a card!
    3 = If your a postie on a regular duty and you know the person then if they say "do you want me to take that"? then i MIGHT be more inclined.
    4 = Some random in the street in an area you ve never delivered to before saying "i ll take that for them" i am not interested.
    5 = My thinking on it is if your not at home it goes back end of! You can collect the following day, ok you may be a little annoyed at not getting your parcel, but at least my jobs not on the line for leaving it somewhere you didn t want it and the item is secure! If you cant make it to the depot, then call or apply on-line to have it re-delivered on a day when someone WILL be home!

Also the "Local Collect" service people have mentioned is an option to have your item dropped off at a Post Office for collection...however a £1.50 fee applies.

Finally deliver to a neighbour includes standard parcels and recorded deliveries ONLY, IT DOES NOT INCLUDE LETTERS, SPECIAL DELIVERY OR INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR ITEMS!!!!

Royal Mail are LEGALLY obliged under the USO (Universal Service Obligation) to deliver to addresses NOT people so keep that in mind when you get letters to YOUR address but with someone else's name!!
  • Credit-Crunched
    Options
    I am a postie, and it really annoys me the way some of the posts on here and the public perceive Royal Mail!!
    I do parcels almost everyday, i for one will NOT be delivering to a neighbour for the following reasons......

1 = It is at the POSTIES discretion IF they CHOOSE to deliver to a neighbour! (the "you's NEED to do that" quips don't fly with me")
    2 = The current RM guidelines for parcels are 22 per hour, that's just under 3 mins per item, already tough enough to manage, there is NO extra time built in for me to go chapping neighbours up only to realize there not in either and then have to return to the original door and write out a card!
    3 = If your a postie on a regular duty and you know the person then if they say "do you want me to take that"? then i MIGHT be more inclined.
    4 = Some random in the street in an area you ve never delivered to before saying "i ll take that for them" i am not interested.
    5 = My thinking on it is if your not at home it goes back end of! You can collect the following day, ok you may be a little annoyed at not getting your parcel, but at least my jobs not on the line for leaving it somewhere you didn t want it and the item is secure! If you cant make it to the depot, then call or apply on-line to have it re-delivered on a day when someone WILL be home!

Also the "Local Collect" service people have mentioned is an option to have your item dropped off at a Post Office for collection...however a £1.50 fee applies.

Finally deliver to a neighbour includes standard parcels and recorded deliveries ONLY, IT DOES NOT INCLUDE LETTERS, SPECIAL DELIVERY OR INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR ITEMS!!!!

Royal Mail are LEGALLY obliged under the USO (Universal Service Obligation) to deliver to addresses NOT people so keep that in mind when you get letters to YOUR address but with someone else's name!!

Maybe if you clocked off a little later you would have time to knock a neighbours house.

Our post used to be with us for 7:00 now we are lucky to see it this side of Midday - except on a Saturday when it appears early, nowt to do with the postman wanting to get home for the football.

Off topic, I had to send some some tools back to the supplier. Royal mail wanted around £27 to send it back, I went with CitiLink who came to me to collect the parcel and have it there by mid-day next day for £5.70

So for nearly £21 more the royal mail wanted me to go to them to send it.

About time the Royal Mail was privatised and had an efficiency test to root out the dead weight and archaic attitudes to service.

Evolve or die, simple
  • Attackthebanks
    Options
    This has had a trial in my area.

The postmen never bother knocking and always just leave a card as per usual. Every other courier company manages to find a neighbour to leave it with.

No wonder the Royal Mail is on its a**

Again the this attitude MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!!

As someone who delivers parcels for RM for a living, it's the single WORST thing you can say to a postie..."you didn't chap my door"!

Aye that's right i've come all the way out to your house from the depot with this huge big box just to post a card through your door and have to lug it all the way back to the van ir if your a walking postie ALL the way back to the depot after a 6-10 mile round trip!

Your argument does not stand, it is in EVERY posties interest to get rid of every single item they have, trust me.
    I wish for just one day you could see what was involved in delivering parcels to multiple locations, it is NOT a walk in the park.

By the same token many a time someone has missed me because they have been in the shower or in bed, and they have been honest enough to admit it....it goes a LONG way to be honest like that....the "you never chapped my door" rant is the quickest way to p**s your postie off and is a blatant lie!!

PS in 2012 i am sure we can be PC enough to say post PERSON it's not ALL men!
  • Credit-Crunched
    Options
    Again the this attitude MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!!

As someone who delivers parcels for RM for a living, it's the single WORST thing you can say to a postie..."you didn't chap my door"!

Aye that's right i've come all the way out to your house from the depot with this huge big box just to post a card through your door and have to lug it all the way back to the van ir if your a walking postie ALL the way back to the depot after a 6-10 mile round trip!

Your argument does not stand, it is in EVERY posties interest to get rid of every single item they have, trust me.
    I wish for just one day you could see what was involved in delivering parcels to multiple locations, it is NOT a walk in the park.

By the same token many a time someone has missed me because they have been in the shower or in bed, and they have been honest enough to admit it....it goes a LONG way to be honest like that....the "you never chapped my door" rant is the quickest way to p**s your postie off and is a blatant lie!!

PS in 2012 i am sure we can be PC enough to say post PERSON it's not ALL men!

It may make your blood boil but its true!

How come every other courier seems to find a neighbour to leave the parcel with, without fail.

Not royal mail, not once have they left a parcel with a neighbour.

And don't even get me started on the opening hours of the delivery depot.

As you mentioned it is 2012 and what business still shuts up shop by 13:30?!
  • scrummy-mummy
    Options
    I LOVE my postie. He knows which neighbours I am friendly with and is always super helpful. I hate it when he goes on holidays because the temps don't care. I can see why some might have an issue with it, but i think it's unfair to lump all posties in one bag :)
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    This is going to put extra pressure on posties who's round are already too large for them to do (the majority of them anyway).

Computer says it can be done in 4 hours then so be it. Most of the fittest posties can manage it in that time, but those with any physical problems or getting on a bit, will rarely be able to finish on time.

Our post used to be with us for 7:00 now we are lucky to see it this side of Midday - except on a Saturday when it appears early, nowt to do with the postman wanting to get home for the football.

How on earth do you expect the postie to get everyone's post delivered for 7am? A lot of posties are part time now, doing 5/6 hours a day, 1/2 hours inside and 4 hours out, they can't get to everyone at 7 especially if that's their start time... Have you thought the route you may be living on may have been changed by their super computer and you're now towards the end of the route? As for getting it early on a Saturday, maybe he's starting early so he can get to the football ;)

Yes, I agree it should be opt in, I have opted out. Don't know if it will make any difference, because I have one of those posties who can't seem to read. He doesn't read the card that says no d2ds, he can't read street addresses. He doesn't push the letters all the way through... I could go on and on but as a former colleague, I don't really want to report him and I'm rarely about when he's there or I'd be having a quiet word
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • neil9313
    Options
    Maybe if you clocked off a little later you would have time to knock a neighbours house.

Off topic, I had to send some some tools back to the supplier. Royal mail wanted around £27 to send it back, I went with CitiLink who came to me to collect the parcel and have it there by mid-day next day for £5.70

So for nearly £21 more the royal mail wanted me to go to them to send it.

About time the Royal Mail was privatised and had an efficiency test to root out the dead weight and archaic attitudes to service.

Evolve or die, simple

Not sure I believe any of your post TBH no pun intended.
  • awm49barhill
    Options
    Due to some problems my neighbours and I do not speak, and I am definetely going to get an opt-out sticker.
  • davethorp
    davethorp Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 September 2012 at 9:47PM
    Options
    We've received an opt out sticker. Have to say I'm not convinced it will remain on my letter box for long if I did put it up what with the elements and the sheer number of our neighbours kids who think it is ok to trespass on our property (which is one reason we don't get on with our neighbours and one reason why we requested an opt out sticker). They really should have devised a window sticker instead which could be stuck to the inside of the window

About 10 years ago a special delivery parcel containing a mobile phone was left by royal mail with someone in the block of flats I lived in at the time who claimed that they had left the parcel outside my flat door (loosely translated they've taken it to the local cash converters and bought some drugs with the money). I can see many more incidents like this once this ill thought out scheme rolls out nationally.

Really should be opt in not opt out if they do insist on pressing ahead with it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure