PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

roast in the bag kits

Options
I'm a fan of the kits where you get a roasting bag and a sachet of seasoning, add your ingredients mix on the powder and away you go.
But rather than buy them I'm keen to make my own seasoning.
We like the sweet chilli and cajun ones, but I'm guessing it's not just a case of buying a pot of sweet chilli or cajun powder as there must be more in there than just the main flavour.
Any one ever tried making there own?
SPC 037

Comments

• phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve not seen the kits but if I were you I’d read the ingredients. Some products charge a fortune for what is essentially salt, pepper and a few spices wrapped up in lots of packaging.

In the past I used to buy roasting bags (because that’s what my mum did) but when I stopped using them I didn’t notice any difference in the meat

Let us know how you get on
    weaving through the chaos...
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with phizzimum - read the ingredients and you'll see the mix is basically spices, sometimes herbs and S&P. You may already have some or most of these anyway. Any other ingredients listed you probably don't (or won't) need; many of them contain E-numbers too. :( Example: potato starch is in there as a thickener for the sauce, but you can use cornflour or just flour. The ingredients list will start with whatever there's most of and the last one will be the least, IYSWIM.

The bags, though convenient, aren't essential; you'd get the same effect by putting the meat into a casserole dish or tin and covering with the lid or foil.

Part of the fun of learning how to "make your own" is experimenting until you get the taste you like. Make a note of what you've used and, once you've cracked it, you can make up your own mix in bigger portions and keep it in a screw-top jar in the cupboard. Just as convenient, you have control over what goes in and, best of all, pennies saved. :)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport