DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Oh wow, never knew any of that existed, over the years I have had a lot, so guess my next job is to go through all of these, wish me luck:) xx

Dedicated thread here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5289150&page=132
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • TurningACorner
    Options
    Hello! I'm new and have very recently started my DMP journey with StepChange and I was wondering about other people experience. Firstly how do we find out if our creditors have accepted the new payments and to freeze the interest and charged and also, I was wondering what people experience where with my specific creditors. I have a lot so please bare with me im ashamed to admit it.

I owe NatWest with a personal (unsecured) loan and an arranged overdraft. I have 2 credit cards with Tesco and capital one and I also have existing balance with an old Vodafone contract. I also have an unsecured loan with leading stream. And I was just wondering if anybody else had experienced these companies during a DMP and what your experience was like?

Thank you for any help or guaidance or just advice, I'm proud I hVe tken that first step but I feel I have a long way to go
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    Hello! I'm new and have very recently started my DMP journey with StepChange and I was wondering about other people experience. Firstly how do we find out if our creditors have accepted the new payments and to freeze the interest and charged and also, I was wondering what people experience where with my specific creditors. I have a lot so please bare with me im ashamed to admit it.

I owe NatWest with a personal (unsecured) loan and an arranged overdraft. I have 2 credit cards with Tesco and capital one and I also have existing balance with an old Vodafone contract. I also have an unsecured loan with leading stream. And I was just wondering if anybody else had experienced these companies during a DMP and what your experience was like?

Thank you for any help or guaidance or just advice, I'm proud I hVe tken that first step but I feel I have a long way to go

Hi,

You may receive notification from some of your creditors that they accept or not, sc will sort out paying them anyway. As for checking interest etc you will need to check your statements each month and if interest is still being applied write and complain. SC do not do this for you..

I have Natwest - od/loan and cc.. over a 3rd of my total debt is/was with them, they were no problem at all. Also Capital One froze interest immediately and they are my biggest cc debt and have had no issues with them.

Good luck

Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello TurningACorner and welcome. Like Puzzcat we also had a CapitalOne debt and they froze interest and defaulted pretty swiftly. I've no experience with the others you mention, but had a range of difference experiences across the board with what were 14 creditors and an £85k+ debt at the start (4years and a few months ago).

None of them officially accepted the DMP, in so far as writing letters to confirm as much -and I had to chase a few to stop interest and charges (some more than once). You do need to keep an eye on your statements and get onto any who carry on charging interest. Eventually it will stop, most likely when / if the creditor sells your debt on to a DCA (if not before).

Sourcrates put a link up to the debtcamel website (a few threads above this one) and its worth visiting the site. Lots of very useful info about DMPs and various other debt related matters.
  • purplepaws
    purplepaws Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm about to agree to a DMP with Payplan but I've just read that they are not the 'charity' imply they are and I'm worried that this could be a bad idea. I'm slightly put off by the time it would take to go through all the finance stuff again with another company. If anyone can advise as to whether I should stick it out with Payplan or should I try StepChange?

Many thanks.
    DMP launched 04/07/17 left to pay = £14,238.79 (£16,982.82 original debt.) Thanks to MSE & all you wonderful Forum Peeps!:T
  • sourcrates
    Options
    purplepaws wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm about to agree to a DMP with Payplan but I've just read that they are not the 'charity' imply they are and I'm worried that this could be a bad idea. I'm slightly put off by the time it would take to go through all the finance stuff again with another company. If anyone can advise as to whether I should stick it out with Payplan or should I try StepChange?

Many thanks.

Hi,

The service you receive should not differ greatly between the two.

They are both financed by the creditors, hence why the advice is always to start paying immediately, but there's no real difference between them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Leanneglos1
    Leanneglos1 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Sooo in a nutshell from what I can see the main difference doing a self managed plan is that you pay all the individual lenders and deal with them, rather than paying sc who then split the money out, im thinking of going self managed, can anyone briefly explain the pros and cons to help with my decision, thanks:)
  • sourcrates
    edited 25 June 2017 at 9:33PM
    Options
    Sooo in a nutshell from what I can see the main difference doing a self managed plan is that you pay all the individual lenders and deal with them, rather than paying sc who then split the money out, im thinking of going self managed, can anyone briefly explain the pros and cons to help with my decision, thanks:)

Well if I was negotiating some kind of deal for myself, I would rather do it, than anyone else.

The debt charities are very busy, and don't have lots of time to spend negotiating with creditors, wear as you do, it gives you the control not the creditor.

I've never been a big fan of 3rd party involvement in anything, although it's right for some, it's not for me, I like to feel in control, and that's what self management gives you, simple as that really, you should not be treated any different for doing so, if you are, complain, keep complaining, till they take you seriously.

Go for it !!
  • Silver1982
    Options
    Any one got any experience with Amex on a dmp. Do they play hardball or fall into line ?
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Silver1982 wrote: »
    Any one got any experience with Amex on a dmp. Do they play hardball or fall into line ?

Amex is a charge card, I have heard of people having problems with Amex, but they never came back to update the thread so I can't really say.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure