Guarantor on loan. Payment defaulted

Options
Hi,

Looking for some advice.
My partner stood guarantor for a friend of 25+ years for a loan upto 10k for a loan from Amego.
Since there has been 3 repayments have been made, her friend has stopped repayments and since not been contactable via multiple ways. Amego and my partner have been in contact with each other. Since she stood as guarantor her financial situation has changed a lot as well as now pregnant she's informed them that she can't afford the repayments and has done everything Amego have asked in terms of a budget planner and such.

What/how do we go down the route of taking her to court for this loan amount?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could try, but I doubt you would be successful unless you had a contract that allowed you to pursue her.

The purpose of a guarantor is to make the payments when the borrower no longer wants to.
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options
    If the friend doesn't have any money, there's little point pursuing her through the courts - you can't magic money up out of thin air I'm afraid.

What action are Amigo taking against your partner?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Jaymie

In my experience, your partner's chances of recovering this money from her "friend" will (regrettably) be virtually nil. The best she can do for now is to negotiate affordable repayments with Amigo and ensure that they are fully aware of her financial/personal circumstances. If she hasn't already sought independent advice from one of the free debt charities already, I strongly recommend it.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Is there any equity in the property you're trying to sign over to someone else?
  • bearcat16
    bearcat16 Posts: 339 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your partner should look to get a loan in her own name from a mainstream lender like Tesco, Barclays etc. This will be at a decent rate (ie ~4%) not the high rate of 50% that amigo charge.

Then use that loan to pay off the amigo loan.

Then pursue the friend for the payments.

If you don’t, you’ll continue to be liable for the high interest amigo loan.
  • dresdendave
    Options
    bearcat16 wrote: »
    Your partner should look to get a loan in her own name from a mainstream lender like Tesco, Barclays etc. This will be at a decent rate (ie ~4%) not the high rate of 50% that amigo charge..
    This would be a sensible step to take.
    Then use that loan to pay off the amigo loan. .
    This would also be a sensible step to take.
    Then pursue the friend for the payments..
    This would be a complete waste of time and energy and will only give false hope to the guarantor.
    If you don’t, you’ll continue to be liable for the high interest amigo loan.

Thanks to steps 1 & 2 you'll only be liable for the loan at a sensible interest rate.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Jaymie1989 wrote: »
    My partner stood guarantor for a friend of 25+ years for a loan up to 10k for a loan from Amego.

Not liking the sound of "up to 10k".
    What/how do we go down the route of taking her to court for this loan amount?

Firstly, you need to find her, and, judging by your statement that she has "not been contactable via multiple ways", it's sounding like she may have done a bunk.

Even of you can locate her, and get her into court, it's likely she hasn't the money to make the payments, so it could be costing you a lot of time and money, to get a judgement, which may be impossible to enforce, and certainly during any reasonable timeframe.

My advice is, arrange a payment plan with Amigo, and don't stand guarantor ever again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure