New Job Offer - Hand in Notice + Confirming Start Date - Process/Sequence

Options
Hi

I've just verbally accepted a new job offer and as such will soon have to give notice to my current employer once I have my new contract paperwork to hand...

I've been sent an electronic copy of my new contract to perouse and at the start date there is a "available for employment from" field, and the recruitment agent has also asked twice about when I'll be available.

I am contractually on 3 month notice with my employer, so clearly first stage is to hand in my notice.... but from there, what do I do:

a) when/how shall I ask my current employer about reducing my notice period? - I work as a consultant so there is my internal boss and assignment bosses - all of whom will have an opinion
b) what shall i declare as my "available to start from" date, or is it ok to t say thats "subject to agreement"

I am just getting a bit "nervous" by the amount of attention this stage of the process is getting, although I understand its the next (and key) step!!! - Hoping wont have to serve the 3 months as thats a long time to wait, that wouldnt cause any issues would it!? - The new place are aware I am on 3 months though we've spoken that notice periods can be negotiable sometimes.....

thanks in advance

Comments

• anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The recruitment agent no doubt wants you to start ASAP so that they get their commission/bonus as soon as they can.

I would suggest that when you write your resignation letter you say you are "giving three months notice to terminate your employment on [specify date]" and add that you would be willing to negotiate an earlier termination.

Try to speak with your internal boss first and then hand over the letter.

And of course don't do any of that until you have a firm offer from the employing company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure