Amazon Prime Rip Off

Options
Amazon have now increased their minimum order amount to £20 to qualify for super saver delivery which has doubled overnight!

If you wish you can subscribe to Amazon Prime for £79 per year. That is unless you live in the rest of Europe. It seems that everyone else can subscribe to Prime for just €49 per year (approx. £37).

Why do we have to pay so much more for Prime it is so unfair!!

:(

Comments

• dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    Probably due to the cost of postage. I know when I worked in America you could send boxes full of stud and it weren't that expensive, whereas here it's 62p just to send a letter
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • GreatBeyond
    GreatBeyond Posts: 233 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2015 at 5:14PM
    Options
    Didn't read that the OP was talking about European Amazon sites rather than Amazon.com!
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hoggle wrote: »
    Amazon have now increased their minimum order amount to £20 to qualify for super saver delivery which has doubled overnight!

If you wish you can subscribe to Amazon Prime for £79 per year. That is unless you live in the rest of Europe. It seems that everyone else can subscribe to Prime for just €49 per year (approx. £37).

So what form is your campaign against them going to take? - Vital info for the board you posted this on!
  • chippy2u
    chippy2u Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Amazon only charge p&p if the 'total' order is under £20. So if for example the item you want is £15 just order another item for £5 or over (preferably one out of stock or with a long delivery date) and when you recieve the item you really want cancel the second item! Simples......
  • bakerlad1983
    bakerlad1983 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    I read that if you choose a pre order, a video game for example, then as long as it takes you over the £20 then you will not have to pay for delivery . Then all you need to do is cancel the pre order once you have recieved your other items
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 May 2015 at 6:09PM
    Options

They also get far less for that €49... You're not comparing like-with-like (whether you'd use it or not!).
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options

" IT IS SO UNFAIR".... did you stamp your feet and threaten to hold your breath until Amazon relented?

A couple of factual errors I'm afraid.

Spend £10 on books and you'll still qualify for Free Super Saver delivery. If you spent £5 on a cable along with £10 worth of books then the Cable and everything else not books under £20 will also be delivered free.

I suspect and I might be wrong that Amazon have done this to drive sales of Prime. They've spent a fortune getting their TV streaming stuff up and running which is free with Prime along with being able to 'borrow' Kindle books. O.K it might not be to your taste but.....

As for the Prime price difference to Europe the TV progs are aimed at the UK.

I'm a happy prime user at £79 because it means I know EXACTLY what day me stuff is coming.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure